Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

10 week old puppy just ate a cooked pork rib bone (about the

10 week old puppy just ate a cooked pork rib bone (about the length of a finger - straight). What should I do?

Theresa :

I am guessing that your little one didn't chew this either did he?

Theresa :

Pork bones don't break down well at all and the fact that it was whole does pose some significant risks.

Customer:

I thought he would chew it but he grabbed it lengthwise and swallowed it whole!

Theresa :

Ideally, I would take him to the emergency vet tonight where they can radiograph his abdomen and then consider removing the object from his stomach by endoscope to eliminate the risk of major surgery for a foreign body or possible perforation of the stomach or intestines.

Customer:

ok. I have to look around for an emergency vet . . . it is late 7pm here. What are other options if that falls through?

Theresa :

The other option would be to take a wait and see approach. If he starts vomiting, stops eating, or seems uncomfortable then he would need to be seen by your vet as soon as those symptoms start.

Theresa :

He is at high risk for an obstruction and it would be best to avoid it if we can. If you know beyond a doubt that you cannot get him into the vet today then give him a piece of bread or two to help coat the sharp edges of the bone.

Customer:

should we feed him anything else or just wait?

Theresa :

Just the bread. Keep water readily available as well.

Customer:

ok. . . thanks a lot. I will look for a vet ... and do bread and wwater too. Thanks!

Theresa :

Don't do the bread unless you know that you can't get to the vet. It could make the bone harder to find by endoscope.

Theresa :

Good Luck!

Hi there Jimmie,

How is your pup doing?

Theresa