smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.

I was reading about Quercetin for dogs and am wondering how

Customer Question

I was reading about Quercetin for dogs and am wondering how much I would give to my dog that is 18lbs. And, if you empty the capsules would it be 1/4 of tsp. or some amount like that? I'm just wondering how you measure it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  smanimalvet replied 1 year ago.
Hi there-

Thank you for using JustAnswer! Quercetin has been shown to work in some dogs and since it is a natural compound we can give you the dosage on here. We are not able to with prescribed medications.I like the Quercetin capsule from Solgar.

For Atopy, the dose for an 18 pound dog I would start out would be 1/4 of a 250mg capsule twice daily and work up to 1/2 capsule twice daily after a couple of weeks.

If you want to try a more mainstream medication, you might try Zyrtec. It would be 1/2 of a 10mg tablet once daily. just make sure it is NOT Zyrtec D.

I hope it helps!
Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, just to be clear. How do I measure the Quercetin if I go with that. Do I empty the capsule and estimate 1/4 of the powder? Also, do you see the same benefits with Zyrtec?

Yep, divide the powder into 4 equal servings...it doesn't have to be exact and then sprinkle it on the food.

Zyrtec works on a different pathway, it is an antihistamine which is one of the components of allergies. It really worked well this last year to control itching due to topical allergies. I would try one first, if no response, then try the other.

Dr. B
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, but I thought the Quercetin also worked on inflammation and nerves. I have tried benadryl with out much success. Finally finding the right food has really helped but she still has anal gland issues and I think it is still related to allergies.

When walking she will all of the sudden tuck her tail under and run and sit down. It's almost like she gets a pinched nerve or something like that. And last question should i get the plain Quercetin or the one with bromelain?

Quercetin does work on inflammation but works by decreasing the presence of mast cells...kind of the same thing but a different way of going about it. I agree, it sounds like allergies. Benadryl is pretty much worthless for chronic allergies; it only lasts for about 4-6 hours...Zyrtec works for 24. You need to get the one with Bromelain as it is necessary for the body to use quercetin. Bromelain can cause minor upset stomach which is why we start at a little lower dose.
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to say thank you, you've been a big help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have a follow up. I started the Quercetin and wondered will I have to keep her on this as a maintenance program for her lifetime if it works? And also what if she has a really bad flare up, would I give her a dose of zyrtec or would that be too much for her in conjunction with the Quercetin.

I would try it for a month and see how it goes. If things improve then you can try without it periodically...if the itching comes back then you made need to use it year round. Sometimes you can get many itch free months without the drug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still so far so good, meaning better since being on the quercetin but could you please answer the question I had in the follow up about giving Zrytec with the quercetin if she has a severe flare up as we head in to allergy season. Would it be too much for a dog of her size (18 lbs) to give zytrec on top of the daily dose of quercetin if needed.

Sorry about that! It's totally safe to give the Zyrtec and the quercetin together, especially when the allergies flare up badly.