CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I have a 11 yr old Bassett Hound who has been diagnosed with

I have a 11 yr old Bassett Hound who has been diagnosed with Lymphoma (lymph nodes mainly in her neck) She has not been sick one day. I opted to just give her prednisone - I had her on it for a month but both regimens were tapers. The vet has not answered my question that I have asked both visits. If I want to just give her Prednisone - what is the dosing regimen? Do I keep her on a maintenance dose? Do I continue to do start at 40mg and taper? If I do that - how much rest in between. I am frustrated with the vet and frankly it stresses her to go to the vet. Thanks for your time!!
Deb

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

CriticalCareVet :

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

CriticalCareVet :

How much does she weigh?

Customer:

50 lbs

CriticalCareVet :

Ok - thank you.

CriticalCareVet :

In these cases, they are on prednisone for life.

CriticalCareVet :

There is a single, treatment dose, not tapered.

Customer:

thats what i thought

CriticalCareVet :

The dose range will be variable, but will range from 20-40mg every 12 hours based on the veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet :

There is rarely one dose that fits all, it is a dose range, although at this body weight 25mg every 12 hours would be common.

CriticalCareVet :

Again - for life.

CriticalCareVet :

Not tapered.

CriticalCareVet :

This is the treatment AND maintenance dose.

Customer:

whats the formula for Prednisone? Weight wise?

CriticalCareVet :

Link: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/prednisone-prednisolone/page1.aspx

Immunosuppressive doses range from 1 to 3 mg per pound (2 to 6 mg/kg) up to three times daily.

Customer:

Awesome thank you so much!!! She is still happy and eating and did well on the prednisone so far - so I just did not want to stress her any more!!

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

Ha easy money for you!!! I am a NP - I need to look at this site!!

CriticalCareVet :

Glad to help :)

Customer:

have a great weekend!!

CriticalCareVet :

You too!

CriticalCareVet :

If for any reason this interaction was not excellent - PLEASE reply and let me know. Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.