CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has a swollen and red scrotum after being neutered yesterday.

My dog has a swollen and red scrotum after being neutered yesterday. I have pictures that I took if it will help. His stitches aren't bleeding, he is eating and drinking normally and doesn't show signs of pain in the area. It isn't heated or anything just swollen and what looks like blood right underneath the skin, it is very obvious as he is white. I am a little worried it has only occurred in the past couple of hours and he has only been home since yesterday. We are limiting his movement and he has an e collar on so he can't lick the wound. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Laura

CriticalCareVet :

Hi Laura - Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

CriticalCareVet :

You are likely seeing what we call a Scrotal Hematoma.

Customer:

Okay is it serious? He isn't experiencing pain for what I see and he is acting normal.

CriticalCareVet :

No - it is not serious.

CriticalCareVet :

It is unfortunately from a little bleeding following the procedure into the scrotal sac.

CriticalCareVet :

This is typically "treated" with rest, and a cold compress at the site for a few days, typically resolving.

CriticalCareVet :

If you notice it is growing, or becomes painful - then seeing your vet would be important.

Customer:

Yeah the vet that did the surgery said that but i was just worried because it seemed to appear quite quickly. Thank you for the advice, I shall continue the cold compresses and rest.

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!