CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

elevated levels of alt in 10 month old doberman. cbc stated

Customer Question

elevated levels of alt in 10 month old doberman. cbc stated 320, bile acid panel was done and it was negative, will have followup blood test done in 2 weeks but what do I do in the meantime
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 1 year ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

Customer:

what do I do now

CriticalCareVet :

Can you see my question above?

Customer:

no

CriticalCareVet :

Was the ALT 320? Is that what you are referring to in your post above?

Customer:

yes, was taking him in to get neutured and had the bloodwork done to check, vet called me back said he could not do the surgery and wanted to do the bile acid panel. otherwise this pup is perfectly healthy, I am scared out of my wits

CriticalCareVet :

I completely understand.

CriticalCareVet :

Were all the other values, notably liver values normal?

Customer:

yes

CriticalCareVet :

Ok - excellent.

CriticalCareVet :

We do often see cases where it is lab or sampling error.

CriticalCareVet :

When repeated, it is completely normal.

CriticalCareVet :

And for this reason it is not uncommon at all to recheck this in 1-2 weeks before doing other more expensive testing.

CriticalCareVet :

It is uncommon for dogs - young dogs - to have other issues, notably this breed.

CriticalCareVet :

For example congenital or genetic liver disease such as copper storage disease.

Customer:

I know I have had this breed for 30 years and this is a first

CriticalCareVet :

Infections of the liver, a hepatitis, would also be uncommon at this young age, if he is acting well, and the other values are normal.

CriticalCareVet :

For this reason, before going overboard with testing or treatment, have the values rechecked in 1-2 weeks.

Customer:

there is copper in his diet as he is on blue buffalo and wellness, does this have anything to do with copper storage?

CriticalCareVet :

No - it does not.

Customer:

ok good because these are 2 of the best foods out there. my vet says to come back in a month to do follow up blood work but can I go earlier?

CriticalCareVet :

I would speak to your vet - often there is no reason it cant be done in 1-2 weeks.

Customer:

so in the meantime just sit and wait. can he go back to running and playing as normal? I just lost my last pair or dobes a year ago, running beside me and my male just dropped and 8 months later my female same thing. just really worried about my new little guy. again no signs or symptoms of anything, perfectly normal, healthy and strong. I could not take losing another one. :(

CriticalCareVet :

If he is otherwise doing well - there is no reason he can not continue to run, play, and have fun!

Customer:

ok thank you for your time I really appreciate it. Its good to know I can talk to someone right away!

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!

CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Hi Sarah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for checking up on my boy. I am having more blood work done on this Friday to see if he is ok for his big snip! Will let you know what the blood tests reveal.