CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

Is tea tree oil toxic to dogs? I bought some pet shampoo supposed

Is tea tree oil toxic to dogs? I bought some pet shampoo supposed to be all natural and gave my 7 lb dog a bath in it. I went to look up reviews ect and it says it is toxic now I'm terrified! This shampoo has tea tree oil, aloe, and coconut oils in it as ingredients.
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 1 year ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

CriticalCareVet :

Tea Tree oil can be toxic to dogs, but this is most commonly found with application of the direct oil to the skin, and more concerning - ingestion of the oil. Most notably in low concentrations in shampoo products, it is not found to have side effects.

Customer: Here are the ingredients Ingredients: Purified water, renewable coconut-based cleansers, aloe vera, xanthan gum, melaleuca oil (tea tree), olive oil squalene (natural preservative). All ingredients are natural, 100% biodegradable, and gentle on your pet & you
Customer: imyou're terrified should I be?
CriticalCareVet :

No - did you see the information I listed above?

Customer: I'm just not sure how much tea tree oil it had in it
Customer: I could smell the tea tree oil
CriticalCareVet :

If concerned, was again with a dawn dishwashing soap as a shampoo.

CriticalCareVet :

But in these combination shampoo products, we do not typically get concerned about toxicity.

Customer: I use natural and organic shampoos and had been using my own for her some time any ingredients to steer away from
CriticalCareVet :

Are you still typing?

Customer: No
Customer: I did type though
Customer: did you see the question?
CriticalCareVet :

yes -

CriticalCareVet :

I have answered above.

Customer: I use natural and organic shampoos and had been using my own for her some time any ingredients to steer away from
CriticalCareVet :

CriticalCareVet :

This would not be a concern.

Customer: I use natural and organic shampoos and had been using my own for her some time any ingredients to steer away from ...are there other ingredients that may be in people shampoo that would harm dogs?
CriticalCareVet :

Typically - no.

CriticalCareVet :

But because they are different in their composition of their skin vs ours - they are not preferred.

Customer: What do you recommend? And what problems could occur using people shampoo
CriticalCareVet :

Often - dry skin.

CriticalCareVet :

Flaking, scratching, and infections.

CriticalCareVet :

Dogs rarely need regular shampoo

CriticalCareVet :

If they do - best to use a safe, gentle shampoo - such as an oatmeal based.

Customer: What to use? Not bathe at all?
CriticalCareVet :

Customer: So dogs don't need to be bathed?
CriticalCareVet :

Typically - no.

Customer: I use conditioner as well because she has flaky skin but I don't bathe her an extreme ofteness
CriticalCareVet :

Unless they have a specific skin condition or get dirty.

Customer: Is that ok to use conditioner?
CriticalCareVet :

yes

Customer: I'm trying to figure out what to use as she gets itchy and dry skin
CriticalCareVet :

An oatmeal based shampoo is common as listed above.

Customer: I'm terrified about the tea tree oil and read some reviews where they couldn't hardly get residue out but I don't have any dawn
CriticalCareVet :

I understand your concern - but as compared to direct application of oil - this is not considered toxic and I have never seen a toxin case from a shampoo with a history such as yours.

Customer: Here's what I did I bathed her in the tea three shampoo for dogs, then I rinsed best I could, then washed with my people shampoo and then put conditioner on her and rinsed and then put olive oil rubbed with my fingers do I need to do anything else.,
CriticalCareVet :

There is no other specific therapy, that should be fine.

Customer: Ok thanks do I need to go buy dawn?
CriticalCareVet :

How long ago did you actually use the other shampoo?

Customer: Just now
Customer: About hour
CriticalCareVet :

Yes, Dawn would then help remove any other residue.

Customer: And I toweled her off and put olive oil on her
Customer: She's pretty well dry now
Customer: So should I do dawn too? Now?
CriticalCareVet :

yes

CriticalCareVet :

Customer: So it's a danger?
CriticalCareVet :

No - as I listed above - it is not expected to be a danger.

Customer: Should I not use anymore?
CriticalCareVet :

But if you are concerned, that is the way to remove remaining residue after your other washes.

Customer: Ok do you recommend or think that I shoukd leave it be?
CriticalCareVet :

From experience - it should be fine without any other therapy.

CriticalCareVet :

But as you appear quite nervous - if you wanted the extra step, Dawn would be that step.

Customer: Ok thanks......
CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome.

CriticalCareVet :

If for any reason this interaction was not excellent - PLEASE reply and let me know. Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate the professional until you rate my service! Please know, we do everything possible, even when illness is concerned, to give accurate and compassionate information. Please do not rate the website itself or the illness, rather the compassionate and timely information.

CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quick follow up question, I was in such a panic earlier that I just remembered something that has me concerned. Before I found out tea tree was toxic (didn't think it would be being it was labeled on my pet shampoo) so I actually was going to wash around my dogs neck and shoulder area and had a bar soap that is organic and it had some tea tree and I thought it would be good for her so I rubbed my hands together to lather some up and put some on her neck to was a little, remember she is 7 lbs, I washed with the pet shampoo and the cleansing bar and also washed with people shampoo. After I spoke with you I did give her a bath in dawn but it was in the sink and she is like giving a cat a bath therefore her neck was a little hard to wash. I did was but not sure how thoroughly as she allowed me just so ect. What scares me is I looked at the ingredient list and tea tree is at the top of the list, first Ingredient. Again I just rubbed my hands together with this bar soap to get a little lather and washed her neck with the lather I got from rubbing my hands together. Here is the Ingredient list for the bar of soap: Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Oil, Water (Purified), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel, Jojoba Oil, Palm Oil
Do I have anything to worry about?
No - there is really nothing significant here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I just worried about it being higher concentrate. I just picked her up and a flea jumped on my arm I grabbed it to take to flush in the bathroom and it got away. Any quick tips for her, my home, and household?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the flea it was rather small but I guess it was suffocating in the olive oil I bathed my girl in. I found a larger flea a few weeks ago (just assumed one had jumoed on her when she ran outsude to go tothe bathroom) and did a check for flea droppings ect under her arms and the spots fleas normally route to and didn't see a thing. I know it's "after" her bath now but I used a flashlight and didn't see anything. I really don't like putting frontline or any of the meds because she is so sensitive and small and gets so sick, I haven't used flea treatment but once in the past 8-10 years.