CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

my ckcs has had trouble with hid getting up on my sofa and

my ckcs has had trouble with hid getting up on my sofa and bed it came on all of a sudden just stopped jumping up can get down but not uphe yelps if i pick him up wrongly he is eating and drinking fine just keeps yelping even when he is in bed he cries in pain

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and specialist and will do my best to assist you today!

CriticalCareVet :

I am sorry to hear about this concern but glad to help.

CriticalCareVet :

Does he also have trouble getting up from rest?

CriticalCareVet :

Going up/down stairs?

Customer:

he can only just get upstairs and he can get up from bed but very slowly

CriticalCareVet :

Is there any leg (or legs) that seems more affected?

Customer:

im not sure as he goes out in garden ok but cant get back in the door im not sure which leg or even if it is his legs

CriticalCareVet :

With what you describe - typically jumping - it is often the back legs which are affected.

CriticalCareVet :

As they use those to plant and bear weight.

Customer:

i tried to do his anul glan today as he keeps dragging his bottom along the floor and he yelped

CriticalCareVet :

Anal issues usually do not cause jumping issues.

Customer:

well he can jump down ok but not up

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - that is common.

CriticalCareVet :

Based on your history, age of your dog, and breed, there are 3 major parts of the body, when injured that can explain your signs.

CriticalCareVet :

Firstly, before I discuss those 3 body parts - this is assuming that there is not a more simple causes such as a strain, sprain, or bruise.

CriticalCareVet :

That is not predictable based on history alone, without being able to perform an examination.

For this reason, we have to discuss other problems aside from a temporary injury.

CriticalCareVet :

The body parts of concern would be:

1) Knee pain
- One knee problem in this breed can be a luxating patella (knee cap) - LINK HERE

CriticalCareVet :

2) We can also see hip pain

CriticalCareVet :

3) Finally, in breeds such as this we can see back pain. While again, this can be a temporary injury, other common back pain in breeds such as this is a slipped/herniated disc - LINK HERE

Customer:

well how would this happen out of the blue from one to the next

CriticalCareVet :

Any injury such as those above are sudden.

Customer:

he loves running and mostly lies down in day time he jumps up and sits next to me on sofa or used to jump up on my bed which is quite high but now he cannot do any if i put my hands under his belly to pick him up he cries

Customer:

so im worried im hurting him im hoping to get to see my vet on thursday is there any pain killers i can give him to ease his pain

CriticalCareVet :

No - we do not give OTC pain medications here as there is a good chance your vet will use meds such as steroids.

CriticalCareVet :

and if you give OTC medications such as aspirin, this will compromise your vet's plan.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what can i do to help him till thursday

CriticalCareVet :

(risk of stomach ulcers, stomach perforation)

CriticalCareVet :

Strict rest, as much as possible.

Customer:

he can walk and run fine

Customer:

just hurts to get any higher than 4/6 inches in the door and he cant get to the lawn to toilet as the step is 6 inches he is not in any danger then you dont think

CriticalCareVet :

I completely understand.

CriticalCareVet :

And while the instinct is to give medication - here, it is best to NOT give human meds.

Customer:

if its a sprain from jumping up or down will it heal by itself as this has been on going for a few days now

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - that will often heal within a week.

Customer:

strain or bruise also i just cant think of any thing he could have done as im with him all day all week he is always with me

Customer:

he cries in his bed so he must be in pain

CriticalCareVet :

With any of the causes above, including strain or sprains - they can have discomfort.

Customer:

ok so its ok to wait till thursday to get help as my vets are closed till then

CriticalCareVet :

As long as there are no other changes, notably worsening limiting of the hind legs.

Customer:

would you think he needs a x ray

CriticalCareVet :

If there is still pain - or worsening pain, x-rays would be commonly evaluated, yes.

Customer:

ok well thanks for info

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!