Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

Hello, I have a five year old Havanese. Well, actually he

I have a five year old Havanese. Well, actually he is my mom's dog and I have to get him more dry dog food. She did not save the bag and I am not sure which brand it was, but I know I bought it at a local pet store. I feed him a can of Cesar's once a day and the rest of his day he eat the dry food and the kibbles (for his teeth) that I buy from his vet. I still have some of his other dog food left so if I change foods at this time, I can gradually change him over. The store I bought his food from is not conveniant for me, so I would like to know what kind of dry food you would recommend that I can either get at a local food store, PetSmart or PetCo...all of which are easy for me to get to. I don't care what the expense is as I want him to have the best possible food. Can you please recommend a dry food for him. Thank you.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I appreciate that you want to feed Panzer the best food that you can but that's a very difficult question to answer for several reasons:

a) You will get a different opinion about this topic from everyone you talk with.
b) Veterinary nutritionists can't agree on this topic.

But, having said that, I believe there are a number of excellent dog foods available today.

I tend to avoid those with corn or carbohydrates as the first ingredient (although I don't think grains are necessarily bad for most dogs unless they are allergic to them).

I look for AAFCO on the label.

Specific brands which are good include: Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Bil-Jac, Pro-Plan, Solid Gold , Evo, Canidae.

I hope this helps.

Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Panzer. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ended up going with the Wellness brand of dog food that was highly recommended by the saleperson at PetSmart as well. What was funny is I was mixing his food still from last time to slowly introduce a new food and now switched to another one. I mixed all three together. All three are different shapes. Well, when I went back into Panzer's feeding area, all of the new food was sitting on the floor. He somehow managed to pick them out and throw them out of his bowl. I think he was undetermined as to whether or not he liked it, but went back and ate them. Could not believe the ingrediants of the Wellness dog food. Very impressed. Thank you for your recommendation.

Thanks for taking the time to give me an update about Panzer.
What a very cleaver dog!!!! It always amazes me when dogs demonstrate how intelligent they'd think I'd be used to it by now:) Deb