Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My shi tzu just swallowed a childs hair net. At first he seemed

Customer Question

My shi tzu just swallowed a child's hair net. At first he seemed to gag a little, but after my wife gave him a few treats the gagging stopped. What's our best course of action at this point? It's been about 15 minutes since he swallowed the hair net. thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in. Since it's only been about 15 minutes, you can try to induce vomiting by giving 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the back of his throat. If there is no vomiting in 10 minutes, you can repeat the dose of peroxide once. Otherwise, keep a close eye on Toby for the next 2-3 days and watch for vomiting, diarrhea, straining to pass stool, lack of appetite, or laying around. If you see any of these things, he should be examined by a veterinarian, since there's a chance the hair net may get stuck in the digestive tract (if he doesn't vomit it up). If he's acting fine, you can continue giving normal food and water.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Dave

Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years small animal general and emergency practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Is it essential to induce vomiting?

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't say it's essential, but it may help avoid potential problems if he vomits it up. If you are not able to induce vomiting, or if you try and he does not vomit, just continue to observe him over the next couple days for any abnormalities that I mentioned previously.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anthony,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Dave. Thank you for following up! We're over 72 hours since he swallowed the hair net, and he hasn't had any problems. He's eating normally, and has passed stools with no problems. I haven't been there on every occastion to examine them for signs of the hair net, but I assume it was passed. Is this a correct assumption at this point? All other signs seem good - he is active and is sleeping just fine at night. Maybe we dodged a small bullet here? I'm a first-time pet owner so things like this which are probably routine are all new to me. best, Anthony

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update - sorry it took me so long to respond - it's been a very busy week at work.

I would say that your assumption is correct that it's likely passed, and you may have just not noticed it. I'm glad to hear things are going well.

I hope you have a great weekend, Anthony.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Dr. Dave. Over the weekend Toby seemed have lost his appetite and vomited once, and had some trouble to pass solids. He won't eat his usual dog food but he seems hungry and did eat a full bowl of cooked rice. I believe has has been passing solids today. Just curious if the hair net could still be in his system after all? Time to check in with his vet? thanks

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is a chance it's still possible the hair net is inside of him. Usually, when something is eaten, it passes through the digestive tract within 2-3 days, but foreign material (non-food items) can take longer or even get hung up for many days (it's not common, though). So, since Toby is not acting right, it would be best to have him examined by a veterinarian, just to be safe.

Dr. Dave