Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

Hi there, I am worried about my dog and wanted to get your

Hi there, I am worried about my dog and wanted to get your opinion before deciding if he needs to go to the emergency vet tonight.

He started throwing up a couple of hours ago, coughing into a hack and then throwing up phelgm, foam and small pieces of the treats we give him. Now he is laying down, seems calm, has stopped throwing up but if you get close to him he is making weird sounds. It is almost like a growl, but he isnt growling. Its like his chest is congested or something.

Is this something he needs to be seen for now or tomorrow? What might it be?

He is an 8 year old king charles cavalier spaniel, male, neutered.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

There are many possible causes for vomiting in a dog, such as eating something he shouldn't have (digestible or not), an infection (viral, bacterial, parasitic), a digestive organ disorder, to name a few. It's good that Chip has stopped vomiting. But, the congested sound is a bit concerning, since that could possibly go along with aspiration (where vomit gets inhaled into the airways), which can be serious. I have also seen/heard this when the upper airways (throat) is just irritated due to the previous vomiting. Since aspiration is a possibility, it would be safest to have Chip examined tonight (and possibly have chest X-rays taken to look at the lungs and airways), just in case treatment is needed tonight. Otherwise, I would recommend keeping a close eye on him through the night, and get him examined right away if his condition worsens at all (breathing hard or faster than normal, coughing, continued vomiting, being lethargic, etc.)

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you and Chip further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If he did have aspiration, would he be acting weird? Right now he is sleeping, and seems fine, but I dont want him to choke or anything. Obviously I would prefer not to take him to the emergency vet, just because the cost is pretty substantial, but i also do not want to risk him dying during the night. He is my baby.

Thanks for your reply. Depending on the degree of aspiration, some dogs can act fine and clear the problem on their own (and sometimes don't act weird). If the aspiration is more substantial, they can have abnormal symptoms (abnormal breathing, coughing, etc.) I understand the financial aspect, that's why if he is acting normal, you can keep a close eye on him for the next 24 hours, and get him examined right away if his condition worsens, or if he starts showing any abnormal symptoms (some symptoms of aspiration don't always show up right away, and can take hours to appear). If it's any consolation, most dogs don't aspirate after vomiting, but it's possible - I only mention it because you were initially concerned about the abnormal sounds he was making, which can possibly go along with aspiration.

Let me know if I can help further.

Dr. Dave