Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My 8 month old Chihuahua has had diarrhea for the last 4 days.

My 8 month old Chihuahua has had diarrhea for the last 4 days. She had tried to vomit twice. She seems to have a slight fever off and on. We have given her Kaopetate 3-4 times. I have given her honey/water to try and keep glucose levels up. She eats and drinks like she should. She bounces around and wags her tail all the time. I noticed some very small blood splotches in her stool. She is up to date on Parvo shots. I'm at a loss. Things are tough financially otherwise she would already be at the vet. Is there any home remedy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your young Chihuahua girl Peanut who has had diarrhea for 4 days now! You have done well with her so far and hopefully this diarrhea can settle down in the next few days. Thankfully she is up to date with her parvo vaccinations, so parvo is extremely unlikely to be the cause here. If you can - do get Peanut dewormed today or tomorrow if at all possible.

The Kaopectate is fine and I would also suggest starting her on a bland diet asap. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is perfect for this and you can start her on this, this afternoon. Continue with the bland diet for another 3 - 4 days. This should help to settle her stomach including the intestines and colon. If you have seen just little spots of fresh blood, this is likely from colitis (inflammation of the colon) and isn't much to worry about. If large amounts of blood develop however, you will need to get her seen.

If the diarrhea is still persisting on Thursday evening, then you will need to get some funds together to get her seen on Friday morning. I would also suggest taking in a fresh stool sample from your girl. This can be sent away for a full fecal culture and float to help rule out a parasitic and/or infectious cause for Peanut's diarrhea.

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully this settles down for her soon! Let me know how you get on. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback (5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box.

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr.Edwards, Thank you so much for your help. We have been feeding Peanut the bland chicken and rice as you suggested. It seems to have done the trick. I've not seen any more diarrhea thus far and she has broken her fever. We gave her a worm treatment 2 weeks ago, so I'm apprehensive about giving her another one just yet. She met me at the door when I got home from work bouncing around and wagging her tail to the point of throwing her hips out of joint. When I finished eating dinner and sat down in my recliner, she jumped in my lap, backed up into my left arm pit and went to sleep. Thank you so much for your help!