Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.

My dog is breathing heavy and has a clear fluid runny nose.

My dog is breathing heavy and has a clear fluid runny nose. She is attentive but currently lying on the couch trying to go to sleep. Is this something I should go to a vet hospital for immediately or wait til the vet is open in the morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Sally Grott :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years

and it will be my pleasure to help you today.

Sally Grott :

Is the breathing labored or is he breathing heavy or much differently than normal? Raspy?

Customer: It is not raspy just fast. She is attentive with her ears up.
Sally Grott :

Thank you for that information. IF her nose was runny and it was a color like green or yellow then you would worry about infection.

Sally Grott :

Did anything happen today that may make you think something is going on?

Customer: No not really. She kind of shinned a couple of times earlier but we didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary.
Customer: That word was supposed to be whined.
Sally Grott :

Can you take her temperature rectally , any thermometer will do

Sally Grott :

Can you tell me what color her gums are?

Customer: Gums look pink thermodynamic is 100.8
Sally Grott :

Okay great! everything is pretty normal . if there were infection there would probably be fever. Normal temp for a dog is 100.5 to 102.5 Gums should be pink , if they were pale , white blue or gray that would be cause for concern. IF they are blue or gray that means there might not be enough oxygen going through the body.

Sally Grott :

If you press your fingers on her gums and release quickly, they will turn white for a second, please tell me how long it takes them to go back to pink once you release

Customer: Within a second or two
Sally Grott :

Great!

Sally Grott :

That is normal, anything over that would be an emergency

Customer: So would you recommend me to just keep an eye on her this evening then take her to the vet in the morning?
Sally Grott :

Yes I would keep an eye on her, if her breathing is labored that can indicate pain, short breaths in and out can indicate pain. I am going to direct you to a site that will tell you what normal vital signs are and you should take them when she is at rest so you know what is normal for her.

Sally Grott :

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Sally Grott :

Here you can read causes for nasal discharge http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sneezing-and-nasal-discharge-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: I have another quick question about another one of my dogs. Occasionally she will cough like she is trying to cough up a hairball or something but nothing ever comes up. She is a five year old lab with no other illness signs.
Customer: Can we give my breathing dog anything for pain or do you not recommend this at this time?
Sally Grott :

This could be what we call a reverse sneeze. It lasts for a few seconds to a couple minutes and the dog may suck in air quickly through the nose and sound like it is gagging on something. If you rub under the neck and the episode subsides sooner then you will know that is the problem

Sally Grott :

It is thought to be related to allergies

Sally Grott :

As for the other dog I would recommend just watching her because if you need to make an ER trip and they want to give meds whatever you give now may interfere with what a Doctor would want to give. Has she been exposed to any ticks that you know of?

Customer: No but it does sound like that. It sounds like she is trying to suck in air through clogged airways but then she will try to cough up something. It doesn't seem to bother her.
Sally Grott :

Let me find you a video of that

Sally Grott :

here you will see a dog going through a reverse sneeze some seem more violent than others

Sally Grott :

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: No ticks I know of though she does have a lot of fatty tumors. One the size of a baseball.
Sally Grott :

So then the fatty tumor could be causing her to be uncomfortable and if this is the case it is wise to see your vet to determine what to do.

Sally Grott :

If they do not interfere with the dogs daily activities then nothing is done

Sally Grott :

but if she is showing discomfort because of one then maybe it is time to do something.

Sally Grott :

Does she have a bed or sleep on the floor?

Customer: she sleeps on our bed or the leather couch. She has had the tumor a couple of years.
Sally Grott :

I might suggest one of the memory foam dog beds for her so it conforms to her body in case the tumors are causing discomfort. This way there will be less pressure on sore areas. You can put that right on the couch or the foot of the bed for her

Customer: BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that you would just recommend we watch her this evening and go from there?
Sally Grott :

yes

Customer: We just watched the video on reverse sneezing and that is exactly what my other dog does. Thanks for all your help! We feel better about the situation.
Sally Grott :

You are welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Sally Grott :

May I send a free follow up with you for a week and see how Riley is doing?

Customer: Absolutely.
Sally Grott :

Great I will sign off with you now if we are finished and set that up. You will receive a note in your email from JA from me

Customer: Thanks again
Sally Grott :

you are welcome, good night:)

Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brian,

I was just following up to see how Riley was doing. I am hoping it is just old age discomfort and you are able to get some meds to help her out for those sore bone days.
Sally