How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16070
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a dog overdose on calcium and d3 supplements

Customer Question

can a dog overdose on calcium and d3 supplements
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.
Hi jacustomer-dkf3l32w~

How much did Aeneas eat?

How long ago did he eat it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 100 pills 1 to 3 hrs ago


Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for answering my questions.

The quick answer is yes...a dog can overdose on a calcium/vitamin D supplement.

The things we worry about when they eat too much of these supplements is the possible kidney failure, heart issues and tissue mineralization.

The minimum toxic dose can be as low as 0.5mg/kg, which your dog undoubtely got.

It's not surpising that he's not showing any symptoms since we don't usually see any until about 18-36 hours after they eat the pills. The most common signs we see are things like vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy, drinking more than usual, urinating more than usual and heart arrhythmia.

Since he did eat so many, the absolute best thing to do is to have him seen by an emergency vet as soon as possible. They'll provide supportive care and monitor his kidney function and heart rhythms until the crisis has passed.

I hope this helps.

Related Dog Questions