Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian

My 4 yr old Bulldog started throwing up...basically yellow

Customer Question

My 4 yr old Bulldog started throwing up...basically yellow fluid and foam,had white gums,lips and the droopy part of her eyes,swollen side,and very lathargic.Her bloodwork showed low red blood cells,high white blood cells,liver enzymes off and kidney function failing.(do not know exact counts).Xrays show a mass but they can not tell what it is or where.My Bulldog is scheduled for an ultrasound later today.The only thing that confuses me is my dog had these same symptoms a few months ago(no vet visit),and she came around on her own.At THAT time the vet thought she was having a kind of anaphylactic shock,but without the collapse.We gave her Benylin and she was fine.Can THIS extreme bout be as simple as anaphylactic shock again?Or was it never that in the first place?I'm confused.How can a swollen side disappear for months if it is something like cancer?(the vet now is leaning towards cancer because of the mass in the xray)I'm not convinced.Thanks so much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 1 year ago.

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Did your dog have any bloodwork at the first time that this happened?

Customer:

No we didn't.By the time we saw the emergency vet our dog was coming around.

Dr. K :

Did they administer anything other than Benadryl? Like steroids?

Customer:

No nothing.

Dr. K :

Has any treatment been given this time?

Customer:

Right now they have her on i.v with antibiotics and i believe they were going to give her some anti nausea medication to try and get her to eat.Other than that...nothing else as fas as i know.

Dr. K :

Did they do bloodwork on her this time before starting the IV?

Customer:

I am not sure about that.From what i gather they started her on the i.v. right away.

Dr. K :

That is really a shame.

Dr. K :

She really should have had bloodwork done on both of these conditions before any treatment was administered.

Dr. K :

Your dog is showing symptoms very suggestive of a problem called Addison's disease.

Dr. K :

This is a problem in which a dog does not make enough cortisone.

Dr. K :

I am going to give you some information on this....

Customer:

I would love some information.This has been very confusing and sad to see my perfectly healthy dog go from perfect to near death in minutes....then get better for it to happen all over again.

Dr. K :

Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism) is when the adrenal glands do not make an appropriate amount of cortisol and mineralocorticoids (hormones that regulate stress, and electrolytes in the body). It is commonly seen as a waxing and waning of vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and dehydration. Most dogs feel great right after being rehydrated with IV fluids, only to decompensate again at another time. These episodes often correlate with some type of stressful event. Addison's is easily tested for with a blood test called an ACTH stim test. This is done in the vet hospital on an outpatient basis, and is definitive for diagnosing the disease. The good news is that Addison's is a completely treatable disease!
I am attaching a client information sheet that I use in my practice that discusses Addison's disease in more detail. I hope that you find it useful.

Customer:

Should i ask the vet to test for this?Or would that seem disrespectful...lol. :P
I don't want her to think i'm questioning her authority.

Dr. K :

I'm having a little difficulty attaching the form but I will get it for you in a sec!

Dr. K :

I do think you should ask your vet about this possibility.

Dr. K :

The only problem is...because they never did any bloodwork BEFORE treating her, the regular panel won't be able to tell them much.

Dr. K :

They will need to just go straight to the ACTH stim test.

Dr. K :

Click Here

Dr. K :

You should be able to open that up and read it after our chat has ended.

Dr. K :

If you have further questions regarding this matter, please just let me know as I would be happy to address them for you.

Customer:

Does this Addisons also have the symptoms of the swollen spleen too?The only thing my dog didn't have was diarrhea.

Dr. K :

It's ok if your dog did not have all of the symptoms.

Dr. K :

That doesn't necessarily rule it out.

Customer:

Okay.When this happened the first time it was her swollen side that caught my eye.As soon as i noticed that i knew that wasn't normal.

Dr. K :

All of the symptoms will be listed in the handout....I do not necessarily think of a dog with a swollen spleen when I think of an Addison's patient, but dogs with Addison's disease often have a painful abdomen.

Dr. K :

Increased liver enzymes can certainly occur, and this can have a swollen liver along with it....the liver is in the same region as the spleen, so this may have been what you were seeing...

Dr. K :

Dogs with anaphylaxis don't generally get a swollen abdomen.

Customer:

Her belly didn't seem to bother her.....then again,she's a Bulldog....tough as nails. :)

Dr. K :

I do think this disease is a strong possibility, so I encourage you to ask your vet about this.

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with Bubbles, and I hope that you get a definitive diagnosis on this soon!

Customer:

I just don't want to make a hasty decision without doing my best to find out what's wrong.
Thank you so much!I will bring this up to Bubbles attending vet.....fingers crossed. :)

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck! If you have no further questions at this time, please continue on to exit the chat and rate your experience with us today. :-)

Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. K replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kitty,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubbles. How is everything going?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr K,

You won't believe this but Bubbles ended up having a twisted spleen.She had sugery this morning to have it removed.It was so bad it had adhered to itself and her pancreas.They had to remove a little piece of her pancreas too.The spleen was about as big as my Bulldogs head...wow....lol.Bubbles is doing fine.Hopefully there are no complications and she can come home in a few days.Wish us luck. :)

Kitty

Expert:  Dr. K replied 1 year ago.
I do wish you luck!

Thank you for letting me know. I am glad that she had the surgery to correct her problem. I surely hope that she will make a full recovery!

Best Regards,
Dr. K