Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

What is the dosage of bactrim for dogs? My 12 pound dog has

What is the dosage of bactrim for dogs? My 12 pound dog has a uti and I have bactim ss... how much can I give her

Hello,I am sorry to hear Gizzy is having some trouble.

Unfortunately it would be illegal for me to give you an exact dose for her without having an established patient clinic relationship.It is also important to know that using the wrong antibiotic can lead to resistant bacterias so I really can not advise using this without the approval of your vet.

What I can do is give you general information . Both of the links below will give standard dosing information . It is important to note that this drug can have side effects so be sure to review the list of possible side effects.
Link 1
Link 2

I hope this helps . Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time. Please let me know if the rating box is missing or you are unable to rate for any reason.
Candy

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Didn't give specific info. The 2 links she provided were links I had found on my own. I get she isn't my vet and can't treat my dog... but I want to know a general safe amount to give my dog. On line I have found the guide line 13 mg/lb... but the meds are 80 mg Trimethoprim/ 400 mg sulfamethoxazole

HiCustomer

As a general rule, the dose is for this medication is approximately 12.5 to 50 mg per pound (so a 10 pound dog would get 120 - 500mgs). However, as the previous expert pointed out, it's always best to discuss it with your vet before starting any new medications with the dog.

You can read more about this medication as well as contraindications and possible side effects here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-tribrissen/page1.aspx

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So is 12.5 -50mg per pound 12.5 trimethoprim and 50 solfamethoxazole? Meaning a 12 pound dog gets 150mg trimethoprim and 600mg solfamethoxazole?
Yes. Thats correct!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I was just nervous because that is more than single dose of bactrim which is 80mg trimethoprim /400 solfamethoxazole... and 80/400 divided by 8 is 10/50... not 12.5/50....so that confused me too.

I can understand....I deal with drugs all day and it throws me off sometimes too.

Just make sure that you check with your vet before starting any medications..just to be safe.

Also, even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know how your dog is doing!!

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification