Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

My dog has a hard bump on her leg she is a 100 lb great dane

My dog has a hard bump on her leg she is a 100 lb great dane the bump is a inch or 2 below the "knee" its approx 1 inch long and runs along the bone she has been liking it and playing with it she has had it for about a day or 2 and since we first noticed it, it has gotten bigger about twice the size I am thinking bee sting tried some cold pack on it and it doesnt bother her to touch it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Great Dane girl Abbie who has a little bump below her knee. There are several things this could be including an acute dermal swelling due to a bug bite, an area of infection or even a skin mass. If it is has come up quite quickly, then it is less likely to be a mass, however we will have to keep that in mind.

If Abbie is continually licking at it, you will need to get an elizabethan collar for her today to stop this. The more she licks it, the more irritated it will get. You can also continue to apply the neosporin a couple of times per day. Given there is a chance this could be due to an allergic reaction, also try her with a little Benadryl. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily - that means 100mg for your girl (tablets would be easiest to get this amount).

If the mass/swelling it still there on Monday - please do get Abbie seen by your local Vet. Here they can take an aspirate from the lump for cytology to get a better idea of the exact cause and nature of the swelling. Best of luck with your girl and please let me know how you get on with her over the weekend. Please just reply if you need any extra info. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback ( 5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box.

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abbie. How is everything going?

Dr M D Edwards BVSc MRCVS