Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

We brought home a 5-month old Minature Pinscher/Chiuaua mix

We brought home a 5-month old Minature Pinscher/Chiuaua mix from a shelter a week ago. He is not housebroken so we have been crating him at night. We have placed the crate in the utility room as he has been very inconsistent with his ability to not cry/whine throughout the night. The last couple of nights in particular he has whined/cried the entire night. He does not need to go out to potty but, simply is crying to be let out. When we first put him in the crate, we leave the door open to the utility room with him in the closed cage. If he starts to whine, we give it several minutes and if doesn't stop, we shut the door to the utility room quiety, place towels underneath the door, close our bedroom door, swith on the fan and do our best to get some sleep. I've placed blankets in the crate to make it cozy and also covered the top with a towel but, that did not help. He is an incredibly sweet dog and when we're home just want to lie nearby. We are not willing to move the crate into our room or our son's rooms because we want the crate to stay in the utility room as "his room." He is not much of an eater either. I initially bought a food that had too much filler which of course he loved. I then switched to Science Diet which he refused to eat. I then bought Royal Canin and he readily ate it for a couple of days and now just picks at it. He also doesn't eat the treats we have for him (peanut butter bones). I know every dog is different but, this howling at night is exhausting to the family and I'm also concerned about his eating habits. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Congratulations on your new puppy!

Dr. K :

Unfortunately for your plans...placing the crate in an isolated area like the utility room, is not likely to be successful. Dogs are social animals, and really do not like to be isolated. In fact, they view social isolation as a form of punishment.

Dr. K :

So, it is certainly understandable that you may not want to have your dog sleep in bed with you...however, it is more realistic to expect the dog to sleep on a doggy bed or inside of a crate, in an area where the family is also sleeping.

Dr. K :

I have a very good handout that I use in my practice that discusses how to crate train a dog in detail.

Dr. K :

I am attaching it here for you to read...

Dr. K :

Click Here

Dr. K :

As far as the eating goes...not all dogs are big eaters. As long as he is eating enough food to maintain his weight, then this is fine.

Dr. K :

Have you been feeding him handouts from the kitchen table or counters at all?

Dr. K :

Are you offering him dry food or canned food? Or both?

Customer:

We did try placing the crate in my oldest son's room but, he wailed. I know there is no easy answer but, we all need our sleep and at this point whether we are placing the crate in a bedroom or the utility room, he still wails. Both of my sons were colicky infants and in comparison that was a walk in the park compared to our Bones.

We don't feed him anything but his dog food. He doesn't even seem to beg for food when we are eating our meals. He's just a puppy with a small appetite.

Dr. K :

Crate training can be very frustrating for a dog that is not accustomed to it. I encourage you to read the handout that I provided as it goes into detail on how to best go about acclimating him to the crate. The points are too numerous and long for me to try to type out here.

Dr. K :

It is good that you are not feeding him from the table. Continue to only offer him dog food.

Dr. K :

Some dogs do not like dry dog food. If he was being given some moist food at the shelter, then he may prefer that. Something you can do is add some warm water to his dry kibble and see if that makes it more appealing for him.

Customer:

I'll read the handout...and thanks. He is really a sweet tempered dog. I'm just wondering if the time spent in a shelter has him freaked out about the crate.

Dr. K :

You can also smear the dry food with a teaspoon or two of pureed chicken baby food.

Dr. K :

Many dogs really like this, as it adds a lot of flavor. Just be sure that the pureed chicken you use does not contain any garlic or onions in it.

Dr. K :

Alternatively, you could switch him to canned dog food. Just be sure that you are regularly brushing his teeth with canine toothpaste.

Dr. K :

If you have further questions regarding this matter, please just let me know as I would be happy to address them for you.

Dr. K :

If not, then please continue on to exit the chat and rate your experience with us today. :-)

Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.