Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

we have an 8 month old Meremma Sheepdog, and he drinks ALOT

we have an 8 month old Meremma Sheepdog, and he drinks ALOT of water and pees alot as well. Last night he was in his bed and he just started peeing and looked at me like he had no idea it was happening. This was the second time that has happened. He was neutered a couple months back, could this be caused by a possibly botched neuter?

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

For how long has he been drinking and urinating excessively like this?

Customer:

he has always drank alot of water, and being a puppy i expected him to dribble when he pees in the house a little bit, but about a month ago he was laying in his bed and just started peeing, and he did again last night, and sometimes he will be walking or palying and just start peeing

Dr. K :

Drinking and urinating excessively can be a symptom of a number of different ailments, but the most common are diabetes mellitus, kidney disease, Cushing's disease, Addison's disease and hypercalcemia (usually secondary to cancer). Other, more rare causes, include diabetes insipidus and psychogenic polyuria and polydipisia.

Dr. K :

The first step is to take your dog into the veterinarian for a physical examination. Some blood and urine tests should be done to evaluate for kidney disease, diabetes and signs of the other problems. To diagnose Cushing's or Addison's further, more specific, blood tests would need to be done. Cancer is usually diagnosed with abdominal ultrasound and chest X-rays. Because he is a puppy, cancer would be very unlikely.

Dr. K :

If all of these tests yield no findings, then the dog should be evaluated for diabetes insipidus. This is a disease that is caused by a decrease in the synthesis or secretion of ADH (anti-diuretic hormone). This can happen secondary to a brain tumor, or it can be idiopathic (of unknown cause). There is also nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, in which the kidneys do not respond to ADH. The central diabetes insipidus can be tested for with a trial therapy with ADH. This is a treatable disease.

Dr. K :

Psychogenic polyuria and polydipsia is exactly what it sounds like—the dog just drinks excessive amounts of water because it likes to, and therefore urinates excessively. This is not really a disease, but just an annoyance to the owner.

Customer:

an annoyance is right! i would much rather live with an annoyance though as opposed to diabetes or cancer, especially when he is so young

Dr. K :

Since your dog has always done this, it is unlikely that it is in any way related to his neutering.

Customer:

thank you so much for your help, Duke will be paying a visit to the vet very soon to run the tests, but i do hope that this is just nothing, I was pretty scared though when he just started peeing while he was laying in his bed

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with Duke!

Customer:

it was like he had no idea he was peeing

Dr. K :

I hope that this information has been of help to you.

Customer:

it has thank you

Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, please continue on to exit the chat and rate your experience with us today.

Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?

Dr. K