Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

Locked by Customer Service

I took my lab to the vet the other day for an X-ray to see how many puppies she had inside. He counted nine and she has had six so far. It's been almost 4 hours since her last pup. She started labor last night at 0400 it is now 1730. Is there any way to help encourage her to push the last few out?

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Are you still seeing active uterine contractions? Even though she is not pushing any pups out?

Customer: She hasn't been contracting like she was with the last couple.
Dr. K :

Is she crying or whimpering?

Customer: Yes she recently started crying
Dr. K :

She is going to need to be taken to a veterinarian.

Dr. K :

The amount of time that has elapsed between pups is now too long, especially if there are no visible uterine contractions.

Dr. K :

She is considered clinical for dystocia at this point, and is going to need to go to the vet.

Customer: Okay that's what I figured but thought maybe there was something that could be done to help motivate her to push
Dr. K :

Unfortunately, no.

Dr. K :

Is this her first litter?

Customer: Yes this is her first litter
Dr. K :

The most common cause of dystocia in in dogs is uterne inertia. This is when the uterus is no longer responding. This can happen with the uterus is over-stretched by a large litter. This may likely be what the problem is here.

Dr. K :

She could also have a fetus stuck in the birth canal.

Dr. K :

She may also just have uterine inertia because of exhaustion.

Dr. K :

She will need to be evaluated immediately.

Customer: Okay that could be it. She pushed out a very large pup at the beginning.
Dr. K :

I would take the pups she has already whelped with you in a box or crate with plenty of towels. This way she will not be psychologically distressed because of being separated from them.

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with her and the rest of the pups!

Dr. K :

Please let me know how she does...

Customer: Okay. Thank you for your help. I will let you know.
Dr. K :

If you have no further questions at this time, please continue on to exit the chat and rate your experience with us today.

Customer: I accidently pressed the wrong face is there a way to change it?
Dr. K :

I'm not sure...let me see if I can get a moderator to help you....