Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my two 4 year old chihuahua/pomeranian mixes continues to pee

my two 4 year old chihuahua/pomeranian mixes continues to pee and poo in the house even though they are house trained and I make sure they go every two hours outside and I watch them to make sure they are relieved. What is going on????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pets today.

Dr. K :

For how long have your dogs been doing this?

Customer:

since I got them.

I've instituted practices so they can relieve themselves outside but I think they are marking

Dr. K :

Is there one or two particular areas they do this in? Or do they do it randomly all over the house?

Customer:

they mark specific areas -all over the house

briefcases, dining room table legs, kitchen table legs, couch legs, plastic bags, curtains

Dr. K :

And you have had them both since they were puppies?

Customer:

anything on the floor

Customer:

yes, I got coco at 8 weeks, and cadbury at 4 months. both I trained to pee outside by saying its time to pee, and waiting until they do their thing. I do it again in 2 hours, and repeatedly all day, but I go in to see they've marked

Dr. K :

If this has been going on for years, this can be a difficult problem to remedy. Urine marking is a normal form of canine communication. Although it is much more common in intact male dogs, it can occur in neutered dogs as well. It is important to understand that your dogs are simply behaving like dogs, even though we find this behavior unacceptable (and rightly so). They are doing this to demarcate their territory. The fact that they do this all over the house, shows that they really do not see most of the house as being part of their "den/house". Anywhere they are going, they see these areas as being "outside of the den".

Customer:

I bring the item to each of them and reprimand them, throw them outside for a while until I've calmed down (an hour)

Customer:

how do I change the behavior

Dr. K :

The absolute first step to take is to restrict their access to all areas of the house. They absolutely cannot be allowed to roam the house at all, without supervision. This can easily be done by baby-gating them into an area in which they cannot be let out of your sight.
The areas that they have marked need to be thoroughly cleaned. If there are bed skirts, they should be removed and laundered multiple times to get any residual smell completely out. Urine certainly must have seeped into the carpeting in these areas. These spots should be cleaned well with an enzymatic cleaner for dog urine marking. I prefer one called Nature's Miracle. You can get this at any well-stocked pet store.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I can shampoo the rugs and launder everything

Customer:

should I assume they should be supervised from here on out. I can do it.

Dr. K :

Until this situation is corrected, your dogs should not be allowed to roam the house when you are not at home. It is important that they not be given an opportunity to do this when you are not around to correct them. Therefore, when you are not at home or cannot watch them closely, they should be restricted to a crate or gated in a bathroom. When you are at home, they should be under someone's supervision at all times. This way, if they should go lift their legs on something, you will catch them in the act. If you witness this...then you should stop them immediately with loud yelling, like "NO, NO, NO!!!" and clap your hands. This will disrupt them. Then you take them outside and allow them to continue urinating or marking outside. If they urinate outside then tell them how good they are and reward them right away with a food treat. This must be done immediately....not given to them after when they reenter the house. Never punish them for urine marks that you find in the house. If you do not catch them in the act, then they make no connection between you punishing them and the urine mark that they had done in the past (even if it was only 10 minutes ago).

Customer:

I noticed

Customer:

Ok in summary: supervised at all times

Dr. K :

Once you are convinced that the urine marking has stopped, you can start allowing them controlled access to your home. Take them in the rooms where they tend to do this the most for about 5-10 minutes each. Have them "sit" and "stay" in the rooms and reward them for performing these commands (with food rewards). Continue to tell them how good they are, and reward them for calm behavior inside of these rooms. Only do this once a day, at first, and then step it up to two or three 5-10 minute sessions a day. If they try to mark, then follow the punishment instructions that I explained above.

Customer:

watch and correct behavior immediately if in the act

Customer:

ok I can do that.

Dr. K :

Once they have done well with reintroduction to the areas they marked the most, then you can have them stay in the rooms for longer periods of time. Always have treats on hand to reward them intermittently for good behavior. This reward can come even if they are just laying quietly in the room. Just walk over to them and tell them they are good, and give them a treat. They should still never be allowed in these rooms without supervision.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I will start immediately

Dr. K :

I still have some information for you...

Customer:

ok Im here

Dr. K :

Once you feel they have mastered this, you can move on to "remote correction". You can allow them to be in the room alone, but you must be somewhere that you can see into the room but the dogs cannot see you. It would be best to do this one at a time. They should not know that you are there. You can then leave them in the room and see what they do. If they do try to mark, then you will need to be able to interrupt them right away...either with a loud alarm sound, coins in a can noisemaker, or squirt gun. They should be corrected immediately and then removed from the situation and taken outside, as mentioned above.

Customer:

ok

Dr. K :

Once they have mastered being alone in rooms without marking, then they should be okay. Remember, consistency is the key!!! If they are allowed the ability to mark with nobody there to correct it, then they will continue to attempt it.

I hope that this answers your question, and I wish you the best of luck with your dogs.

Customer:

superb. I have a place to start ... which is to start over!!! Thanks

Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. K replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eureka,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco And Cadbury. How is everything going?

Dr. K