Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  DABVP, Specialist in Canine and Feline Medicine, Veterinarian since 2000

Hi: I was told by my Vet that reactine or cetirizine is Okay

Hi: I was told by my Vet that reactine or cetirizine is Okay to give my dogs. How many mg per pound? I have a 50 lb and a 67 lb dogs.
Thank you.

I am Dr. Devlin and I am a Board Certified Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice.

Thank you for your question and we appreciate your patience today. I just logged on and saw your question had not yet been answered.

Can you tell me if your dogs are both in good health - are there any other health problems I should know about?

Yes, cetirizine is generally safe and effective for about 40-50% of dogs, as is with most of the antihistamines. Trying different types of antihistamines can help you know which is the most effective for your pet.

I'll be happy to help you with their dose if they are both healthy (I am assuming they both have allergies and possibly skin or eye conditions).

Laura Devlin

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Yes, both dogs are healthy. They've never been to the vet's for anything serious, just their shots. They have skin conditions, itchy nose, itchy paws and runny eyes. They've never been sick with anything.

The 50 lb dog is 2 -1/2 years old and the 67 lb is 12 or 13. Is it safe to give it to an old dog?

It should be fine. I use with caution in dogs with heart disease or who are debilitated.

For each dog, I would recommend 10 mg of cetirizine every 12-24 hours. As an alternative you could try chlorpheniramine (in allergy section) 4 mg every 12 hours.

For itchy paws, you can also wipe with hypoallergenic baby wipes every 12-24 hours to help reduce pollen on paws. If there is redness or swelling, there is likely a secondary infection (yeast or bacteria) that should be treated by your vet - these are very itchy and won't respond to just antihistamines.

In addition, adding 1000-1500 mg of fish oil daily can also help reduce allergic response.

Best luck - I know it's hard when they are so itchy and you want to help them. If you have more questions, please reply back. I'll be offline until about 4 EST. Thank you,

Laura Devlin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I give them 900mg Omega 3 everday. And I don't see any swelling or redness.

I have another question.

I have 4 dogs, all healthy, no medical problems. It started in one dog, now all four have an ear problem. It's a whitish/creamy colour discharge (creamy texture) and smells like saliva. It's only in their right ear.

Is there a home remedy I could try for this, before having to bring them all in to the vets?

I have tea tree oil, baby oil and canola oil. Will any of these help?

Thank you for the additional information. The omega 3 dose is a little low, so as long as it doesn't cause diarrhea, I would gradually increase for both of them.

That's very unusual that 4 dogs each have an infection in their right ears. With creamy whitish discharge, I would be very concerned about a bacterial infection.

I would not recommend placing either of the 3 items you mentioned into the ear canal. All 3 have the potential to be toxic to the inner ear should there be a small hole in the ear drum from an infection. It would be safest to at least take one in and have it evaluated by your veterinarian.

Your veterinarian may be able to sell a flush called t8 keto that is antibacterial/antiyeast, non-prescription, and safe for the ears. You can also find it online!

Ear mites are the only contagious ear infection we see in dogs, but it typically causes a thick black / dark brown substance in the ears, and they are very itchy.

I hope this helps all 4 dogs! Best wishes,
Laura Devlin