Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Provides solutions for dog behavior problems.

Hi I have a 15 week old Doberman puppy female. She has had

Hi I have a 15 week old Doberman puppy female. She has had explosive diarrhea 3 times tonight so far. 3 days ago she had some Broccoli stems an had some regular diarrhea and vomit through the night. Then she was fasted for 24hrs and poop returned to solid form. Now she is back on regular puppy food and this is happening
Category: Dog
Expert:  Veterinarian101 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an experienced veterinarian and happy to help!

Before we start please note:

We are testing a new rating system. If you have any problem with it please let me know.

This is meant to be a continuous chat, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button, BEFORE rating, if more information is needed at any time.

What you have described sounds like colitis (Click here for info). This is inflammation and irritation of the lower intestines that then causes diarrhea. Sometimes there can be vomiting associated with this and often they are quieter or flatter than usually.

When the colon is inflamed or irritated, blood and mucous may be seen in the diarrhea too.

Common therapies to consider for a colitis include:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet e.g. Hill's I/D (Click here) or Hill's W/D (Click here).

The second option would be home-cooked bland food e.g. boiled chicken and white rice - 2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, then SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet. E.g. 3/4 of chicken and rice and 1/4 regular food then ½ and ½ etc.. This may have been where you went wrong in introducing the original diet too quickly. If you introduce the new diet SLOWLY and the diarrhea continues then you will need to change to a different brand of food and see if that helps things to settle.

2) Antacids for stomach and intestinal upset (often one of 3 choices below):
- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - Click here (Dose is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.)
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - Click here (Dose is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg), every 24 hours or once daily.)
- Rantididine (Zantac) - Click here (Dose is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg), every 8 to 12 hours.)

3) Pedialyte for electrolyte replenishment - Click here

4) Probiotics are also helpful - Click here or Here

If this continues, or worsens - OR there is vomiting - going to your vet or local ER would be ideal.

I hope this answers your question and let me know if you need further assistance.

This is meant to be a continuous conversation, and for this reason it is very IMPORTANT that you use the REPLY TO EXPERT button if more information is needed at any time BEFORE rating.

Positive rating (EXCITED FACE or 5 STARS) is appreciated as this is the only way I know you have received the information and I receive credit for my time.

Please remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If for any reason the rating box is not visible or you are unable to enter a rating, please send me a message.

Veterinarian101, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Veterinarian with further qualifications in Animal Behavior. Provides solutions for dog behavior problems.
Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Babs. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101