Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My dog has swollen lymph nodes under both front legs. Today

My dog has swollen lymph nodes under both front legs. Today she had a complete check up with biopsies performed. My vet just called back to tell me that the blood work and X-rays looked fine and normal. So the only thing we wait for are the biopsy results. Is there a correlation between the blood work and X-rays to lymphoma? My dog is a 9 year old Golden Retriever.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 9 year old Golden Retriever boy Buddi who has had xrays, bloods and biopsies of two enlarged prescapular lymph nodes today. Here's hoping these are just reactive lymph nodes due to inflammation or infection, rather than this being lymphoma. If all of the other lymph nodes palpated normally to your Vet , then lymphoma is less likely.

The only real way to get a definitive diagnosis of lymphoma is via biopsy - which is what you are now waiting on (it will probably be a couple of days before you get this result back). The bloodwork is helpful and sometimes we can even see abnormal lymphocytes on a blood smear, however bloodwork can never really confirm or rule out lymphoma. I assume the remainder of the bloods were good meaning Buddie has good kidney and liver function etc.

The xrays taken are typically of the chest to check for signs of spread of a tumor. We call this a met (metastasis) check. If the xrays of his chest were all clear, this again doesn't rule out lymphoma, but does mean that spread of a tumor to the chest is very unlikely.

Ultimately - the key to Buddi's diagnosis lies in that histopathology we are waiting on. Hopefully it is all clear. If on the off chance this lymphoma, then further testing of today's sample will be needed to clarify the type. I have had several dogs treated for lymphoma over the last 6 months - all of which are currently doing well with their chemotherapy regimes. Let's hope it isn't lymphoma however! I'll keep my fingers crossed for Buddi.

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance. Just reply if you need any further info. Don't forget to click an excited face :-D if this has been helpful. Please be sure to reply using the REPLY TO EXPERT button if you need any further help or advice.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback (5 STARS OR AN EXCITED FACE :-D ) are always welcomed and very much appreciated

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Bad Service" or "Poor Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and answer any further questions you may have.

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile: Pet-Doc and ask a question via the question box.

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian