Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is panting and shaking and very restless. She keeps

My dog is panting and shaking and very restless. She keeps going to the door like she needs to go out but she just stands there. What should I do??
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been a professional answering questions concerning dog health and behavioral issues here since 2006. I've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you. If you need to reply to me, please use the continue conversation or reply to expert button and not the rating box. Rating should be given once you are satisfied with my answer.

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Has she defecated and urinated today?

Is her rectal area swollen?

Is she licking the area a lot?

Is she spayed?

If not, when was her last heat cycle?

Has she had any fatty foods such as bacon, ham, chicken skins, fried foods recently?

Has she ingested bones, rawhides or non food items?

Is she avoiding stairs?

Is she still jumping up?

Is her back arched?

Are her gums the normal color or are they pale?

Sorry for all the questions, but this information will allow me to answer your question in a more informed manner.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She isn't really eating but she has defecated and urinated. She is spayed gums are normal. Don't know if she got into something she shouldn't have. She is still jumping up on the furniture and she still will going up and down the stairs.

Panting, shaking and restlessness can be a sign of pain. The pain could be the start of pancreatitis or she may have eaten something she shouldn't have. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated

You can read about it in detail here:

You might check the anal glands for swelling. Many dogs with anal gland issues will tremble and pant from the discomfort. Many dogs with anal gland problems will drag their behind on the ground or carpet and their anus area may have a bad odor and be swollen.. You will want to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

If she isn't eating, you want to give her a couple of drops of karo or pancake syrup on her tongue to bring her blood glucose levels up and prevent hypoglycemia which you can read about here:

You might also try some pepcid. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Give the pepcid about 45-60 minutes to work and then offer a small portion of boiled chicken and rice (bland food). If you can get her to eat, then you may see some improvement in the symptoms. However, if she continues to tremble and pant and not eat, I'd have her seen since she may be in pain and need pain relievers.

I hope you find this information helpful.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button.

I would appreciate you waiting until I have addressed your concerns before rating me. Please note that you are rating my help and not the site. IF you feel the need to rate me negatively, I hope you will reconsider and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT" or "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button so I can address any issues you still have. If I have helped you, please click on the highest rating possible so I am credited for my help. If you are having problems with the rating system, please respond and let me know so it can be taken care of.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?