Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog has something in her ear. Im not near a vet. Is there

My dog has something in her ear. I'm not near a vet. Is there something I can do?

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

I am confused, you said there is something in her ear but then you looked in the ear and there was nothing there??? Is she acting like there is something in her ear? What is she doing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is constantly shaking her head. Her ear droops. She will yelp if I touch it wrong.

I understand. Thanks.

Take some hydrogen peroxide, the over the counter kind, and pour it into her ear. If she has a bug stuck in her ear, this will cause the bug to crawl out.

Do this outside and she will shake her head and the peroxide will fly around.

Because the peroxide has a lot of moisture, you need to put a few drops of rubbing/ isopropyl alcohol, into the ear, to evaporate the moisture out. Otherwise she could get an ear infection from the moisture.

You can give her benadryl to help with the head shaking. The dose is 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. For example, a 10 pound dog would get 10 mg of benadryl every 12 hours. It may make her sleepy.

If she continues to shake her head, then she could have a middle ear infection that you can not see. This would need to be diagnosed by a vet and treated with oral antibiotics.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply." Thanks