Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

Hard lump on my dogs face, under his eye so it just looks

Hard lump on my dog's face, under his eye so it just looks like a cheekbone. Of course will take him to vet, but just wondering in the meantime if there are any possibilities other than cancer. He is fairly old (12)
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. These bumps that pop up under the eye on the cheek are often a result of a tooth root abscess. The upper 4th premolar's roots sit near a sinus and when they get infected, the pus tends to take the path of least resistance and bulge (and possibly rupture) near the cheek. Most will treat this by extracting the tooth, but I have seen long term antibiotic therapy help. A tumor is still possible, but it this came up rather acutely, it may just be an abscess. I hope this helps and gives you peace of mind.
Dr. Jeff