Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My small dog( Chihuahua) has a very red and swollen paw. It

My small dog( Chihuahua) has a very red and swollen paw. It hurts to walk and he is licking it a lot. When he is slepping his paw is shaking and trembling.
Hello,I am sorry to hear Kona is having some trouble. I would love to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you. Please understand I try to ask all relevant questions at one time, however your reply may prompt a few more. Since I am unable to see your pet I must rely on information.

How long has the paw been like this?

Is the whole paw red or just a certain area?

Any chance the paw was stepped on injured in other ways?

Can you see anything in the paw or any wounds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just noticed the problem half he ago. The whole paw is red and swollen. I can't see anything foreign in the paw. I don't know how or when this started. Should I take him to a vet?
Thank you for the additional information.

There are a few possibilities here.
* Bite or sting. Often we will see swelling if they have been bitten by a bug or stung by a bee
* Foreign object in the foot such as glass, grass seed,etc if this is too far up in the foot you may not be able to see it.
* Injury such as a break in the paw. These little one can have the toes or even the whole paw broken from something as simple as being stepped on accidentally.
* Bacterial or fungal infection in the paw

Since he is so painful and not walking on it the best thing would be to have it looked at by a vet. Hopefully this is only something simple like a bee sting but there is no way to know without having it looked at.If you have things like poisonous spiders or scorpions in your area then this is possible as well

If you would like to try something at home first you could try oral Benadryl at a dose of 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8 hours.
If you opt to try the Benadryl and you see no change in 2 hours then he should be seen by the vet.

I would skip the ice water and instead use a warm epsom salt soak to prevent damaging the paw. Dogs can not tell use when the paw is getting to cold so soaking in ice water is not often recommended.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions

We are testing a new rating system is you have any problem with it please let me know. If you need additional information or clarification an anything please hit the Reply button and I will be happy to continue helping. If your questions have been answered please rate my answer to end our conversation. If you rate a 1 or 2 I will not be compensated for my time. If your intention is to press "I expected more" or " Helped A little" please STOP and reply back to me so I can try to assist you further.

Candy