Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Our 9 month old Basset Hound has small round lesions on her

Our 9 month old Basset Hound has small round lesions on her chin. They look like warts that break open. They do not seem to bother her but they seem to be getting more numerous.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi jacustomer-ca72ratw~

Unfortunately, this is one of those bad places for wounds because the dog is constantly retraumatizing the area through chewing, drinking and eating, and the area is highly susceptible to infection because of where it's located.

Since Ellie Mae is a young dog who probably gets into all kinds of things that could cause a contact dermatitis that would result in these ulcers, I think the best thing to do is to have your vet take a peek at it. They'll get her on some oral antibiotics to keep it from getting infected as it heals. It's not something that needs to be addressed at an emergency vet tonight, it's perfectly okay to wait until morning and have your regular vet take a peek.

In the meantime, don't allow her to chew on bones, rawhides or toys so that she has less risk of causing more trauma to the area either through chewing or from any drooling she might be doing. You can try to keep the area clean and dry by wiping it with a gentle soap (baby shampoo works great for this because it doesn't sting) and then patting it dry. You can apply a little topical antibiotic such as Neosporin, but only use a small amount, and try to distract her and keep her from licking for at least 5 minutes to allow the ointment a bit to soak in.

Because she's so young, it's highly unlikely that this is anything serious that wee need to be worried about, but it's best to have it checked...just to be safe.

I hope this helps

Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.
Hi Barry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie Mae. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
going to vet.