My dog ate a half a brownie from zaxby's. should I be worried?
Type of Animal: Chihuahua beagal mix
Pet's Gender: Female
Pet's Age: 7
Name of Dog: Gizmo
It happened about an hour ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X've been a professional answering questions concerning dog health and behavioral issues here since 2006. I've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years. I have over 13,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you. It will be my pleasure to work with you. If you need to reply to me, please use the continue conversation button and not the rating box. Rating should be given once you are satisfied with my answer.
First thing is to not panic. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. If he dog doesn't vomit, you can gently slosh the stomach a little to get the dog to vomit. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of brownie your dog may have ingested .
Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.
The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.
If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorption and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.
You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and you may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. You can read about pancreatitis here:
If this was a cake type brownie, you may not see much of a reaction beyond a little diarrhea. If it was one that was very rich with chocolate you will need to estimate the amount of actual chocolate in the brownie, but it is still not likely to be a toxic amount but I'd go ahead and induce vomiting to get as much back out.
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply or continue conversation button.
I would appreciate you waiting until you are 100% satisfied before rating me. IF you feel the need to click "helped a little" or "I expected more" , I hope you will reconsider and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button so I can address any issues you still have. If I have helped you, please click on the highest rating possible. If you are having problems with the rating system, please respond so it can be taken care of.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.
Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.
I accidently gave her a tablespoon full instead of a teaspoon is that to much?
Jason,It depends on how much she weighs though it might be twice as much as needed. Slosh the belly gently to trigger the vomiting so all of it comes back up anyway. If it doesn't, try feeding a little bread and repeating the sloshing. It should trigger vomiting within 15 minutes or so.
She weighs about 20 pounds I tried feeding her bread but she has never really liked it it has been about 20 mins should I give her another teaspoon of peroxide this time?
Jason, You can give one more teaspoon. If she doesn't like bread, try a small treat. You just need something else in the stomach to help make the peroxide fizz and trigger the vomiting. I'm surprised since usually gently shaking the stomach gets them to vomit. She is still likely to be fine since brownies are not all chocolate. If you can't get her to vomit, monitor her for symptoms and have her seen if she displays symptoms of f theobromine toxic poisoning . If there are no symptoms within 4 hours or so, then she should be ok.
Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist