Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is vomiting yellow slimy liquid with some foam too.

My dog is vomiting yellow slimy liquid with some foam too. Does not want to eat nor drink liquids, so I'm giving him water through a dropper that way he won't dehydrate. He is very energetic, likes to play, but now he is lethargic and not so energetic, he threw up at night and in the morning. Now he is sleepy and again not so energetic. I have to give him the liquids because he won't drink them by himself. (He throws up more often than yesterday)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear Lucky is having some trouble. I would love to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you. Please understand I try to ask all relevant questions at one time, however your reply may prompt a few more. Since I am unable to see your pet I must rely on information.

Before responding to my questions can you rub some pancake syrup or honey on his gums?

How old is he/ How much does he weigh?

Is he completely vaccinated ( 3 sets of vaccines)?

Any recent changes to his diet , new foods treats or human foods?

What color are his gums?

How are his stools if loose have you seen any blood?

If you touch his gums are they nice and moist or sticky?

Does he eat things he should not such as toys, clothing, rawhides, bones, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You Dr.Candy!

He is around 8 months

-He is not completely vaccinated, he only has the rabies vaccine.
-Still feeding him with dog food, occasionally we use to give him human foods such as ham, chicken meat, beef, animal crackers, very rarely a little bit of bread but not no more.

His gums are pink

His stools (which it was today in the morning) are good they are hard. No blood

When I touched his gums just right now, they are sticky.

He has never ate something he shouldn't be eating. In fact we always try to keep small objects away from him that way he won't eat them.

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for the additional information.
I am not a Dr but I have been a veterinary nurse for more then 25 years.

There are numerous causes of vomiting and loss of appetite. One concern would be the parvo virus since he has not been completely vaccinated. They do not have to have diarrhea to be in the beginning stages of parvo.

Other common cause would be
* Dietary indiscretion- Eating something you are unaware of.
* Dies changes even small things such as treats can vomiting
* Intestinal parasites
* Bacterial /fungal infection in the intestines
* Blockage in the digestive tract .

My concerns would be not only that this could be related to the parvo virus but the sticky gums tell use that he is starting to become dehydrated. This can not go much longer with out veterinary care.
If possible i would try to have him seen tonight at the ER, Once they become dehydrated it is difficult to get them back to normal hydration with out IV fluids. PUps can also become critical very fast from dehydration and not eating.

If you can not get him in tonight you can try Pepcid AC to calm the stomach. This can be given at a dose of 1 10mg tablet per 20lbs of body weight every 12 hours. Wait 1 hour and offer some water or low sodium chicken broth. If he hold this down then try some chicken baby food or boiled hamburger.

If he does not eat by morning for you then he really needs to be seen by they vet. If you need help locating a vet please let me know.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification an anything please hit the continue this conversation button and I will be happy to continue helping. If your questions have been answered please rate my answer to end our conversation. If you rate a 1 or 2 I will not be compensated for my time so if either are your choice please come back to me so I can try to assist you further.

Best Wishes
Candy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for all this information Ms.Candy!

Yes please I need some help locating a clinic, can I give him pepto bismol for the upset stomach?

My other concern is that today I went to a vet clinic but I was unable to pay the starting fee of $90 for the vet to see him I was very sad and that's why I came here to this website to seek more information in regards XXXXX XXXXX problem, I know I still have to take him to the vet no doubt in mind but do you think you can help me locate a vet that will not be so expensive?
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.

If he is vomiting yellow that tells us this is bile and the Pepcid AC or generic Famotidine ( this will be less expensive) would help more .You can try the Pepto Bismol but this can cause constipation so only use this until you can get the other. This is given at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs every 8 hours.

If you can tell me exactly where you are located let me see what programs I can find in your area for low cost or to help cover the vet bills.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will get the a generic Famotidine meanwhile I will give him Pepto Bismol.

I'm located in Dallas, Texas.

Once again thank you Ms.Candy!

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Give me just a few minutes to see what I can locate for you . I will be right back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you!
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome I just wish there was more I could do to help you and Lucky

The Dallas ASPCA has 2 low cost clinics in Dallas but they will not be open until Monday.
Main Phone Number: 214-742-SPCA (7722)

Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine "The Capper and Chris Save the Animals Fund" (veterinary care assistance)
www.cvm.tamu.edu/capperchris

The animal Clinic at Farmers Branch
14021 Denton Dr
Dallas, TX 75234
Neighborhood: Farmer's Branch

You can also look at carecredit which is a credit card for vet care Click here

Below are some nationwide programs that you can apply for online just click on the name
Brown dog foundation
IMOM
The Mosby Foundation

I hope one of these are able to help you,and I hope lucky does ok. Add alittle sugar to his water so he keeps his glucose levels normal since he is not eating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the two clinics!

Unfortunately they are not open tomorrow but I will keep giving him water with sugar and Famotidine to help his upset stomach. I'm hoping he will feel better tomorrow morning!

Once again thank you for your help Ms.Candy!

Thank you

Robert
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
I know unfortunately the only one that will be open tomorrow is the emergency clinic at Texas A&M

You are very very welcome. If he goes for 4 hours without vomiting try to offer some food to either the chicken baby food or boiled chicken or hamburger.

GIve him a pet from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's no good at all.

If I see no change or worsening of his health I'll take him to the emergency room meanwhile I'll follow your instructions and hopefully lucky will recover.

Okay 4 hours and I'll offer him some chicken baby food or hamburger.

I will Ms.Candy!

Thanks again for the Great Service!

I hope you have a good night!

Robert
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
You too Robert and I hope Lucky has a good night as well. If you need to you can add a little water to the baby food and feed it with the syringe like you are doing the water.

Lucky is very lucky to have you as a friend.
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Excuse me Ms.Candy but around 35 minutes ago he threw up and when he did he also threw up the Famotidine, should I give him again the medicine?

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Oh no poor Lucky Yes if it came up try again and do not give any water for 2 hours and see if this will stay down
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok!

I know, when he threw up it wasn't the yellow foamy liquid it was clear now with foam like if it was saliva.

Ok I will sure do that!