VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Educated, experienced, and friendly!

my dogs nose is bleeding from one nostrile, and Im wondering

my dogs nose is bleeding from one nostrile, and I'm wondering if this is it a sign that someting really bad is happening or not. She's 11 years old and I've never seen her with a nose bleed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.

VetTechErin :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with your question about Valkyrie.

VetTechErin :

How badly is she bleeding?

Customer:

it dosent seem too bad just a slow pase and there are small clumps of blood every once in a while

VetTechErin :

Can you lift up her upper lip for me, and tell me if she's bleeding from her gums as well, or if there are little red "spots" on her gums?

Customer:

shes not bleeding and there arent spots either

VetTechErin :

Thank you for looking! While I'm typing, if you want to get some ice and wrap it in a washcloth, or some paper towels and put it on the bridge of her nose, hopefully that will stop (or slow down) the bleeding.

Customer:

I have been donig hat for the past 5 - 10 min. she just sneezed and a big clot of blood came out

VetTechErin :

There are a few things that can cause bleeding from the nose, and some of them are rather benign, while others are more serious.

VetTechErin :

Good, you're doing all you can from a home standpoint, then! Do you have any rodenticides anywhere in your house or yard?

Customer:

dose this seem serious or benign?

Customer:

not that i know of we dont use them but i dont know about our neighbors

VetTechErin :

It would be impossible for me to tell without taking a look at your girl. Some of the more serious reasons could include something like a nasal tumor or the ingestion of rodent poison, which can cause what appears to be spontaneous bleeding.

VetTechErin :

If she's sneezing, however, it's possible she could have gotten something lodged in her nose (like a foxtail) if she was sniffing around outside.

Customer:

is there anyway to get it out myself if thats what happened?

VetTechErin :

If it's lodged up far enough, it will most likely require a vet to go in and take it out. Some dogs might even require sedation, because it can be pretty uncomfortable.

VetTechErin :

Taking her to the vet is probably the best thing for her, since they can check up her nose to see if there's anything lodged up in there, and check her teeth to make sure there's not an abscess that's causing the bleeding problem. If neither of those are the cause, the next step would be to do some blood work to check for anemia and clotting disorders which might indicate the ingestion of a toxin or a clotting disease.

Customer:

ok well dose the fact that she was sneezing alot last night make a difference?

VetTechErin :

It's very possible that she could have been trying to dislodge something.

Customer:

ok well thank you for yourr help

VetTechErin :

Similarly, if it's only coming from one nostril, it can be indicative that there's something inside that particular nostril, though that's not to say that something more serious couldn't cause only one nostril to bleed.

VetTechErin :

You're very welcome! Good luck at the vet, and keep me updated on how things turn out!

Customer:

ok thanks

VetTechErin :

If there's anything more I can do to help, let me know!

VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience: Educated, experienced, and friendly!
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I see you've rated with negative feedback! Is there anything additional I can do to help you be more satisfied? :)