Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.

We have a 4 year old Shetland Sheepdog. We have an in ground

We have a 4 year old Shetland Sheepdog. We have an in ground swimming pool surrounded by concrete. She gets crazy whenever we go swimming or even lay on a raft in the pool. She runs around the pool as if she wants in. She barks at us and continues the pacing and circling until her pads get sore. We have tried taking her swimming, but when she exits, she begins the running around the pool again. If we leave her in the house, she barks and still runs back and forth pushing her way past the window blinds to see us. I have tried the “Thunder Shirt” as it advertises that it will calm her. It does not help. Scolding her is only temporary. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

I didn't see that you tried dog boots (like for hiking) that protect their feet. That is what I would do rather than trying to stop her behavior:

There are cheaper boots around but you need some that are very sturdy for what you want them for. I highly suggest you get the ones from Ruff Wear.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tryig to swim or lie in the pool with a crazy dog circling and barking with boots on is not acceptable. Our other dogs were quiet. This is abnormal behavior and bother not only us but the neighbors.
In that case you need to consult a behaviorist or dog trainer. There is nothing I can tell you to do over the internet. This is not a quick fix. This breed is a herding dog and that behavior is ingrained in them. This is going to take a lot of work over a period of time.

Where do you live. I will try to help you find someone.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I figured that it will take time. I have tried staying in the house to calm her while others are outside in the pool and also trying to calm her while outside as well. We were hoping that she would grow out of it after a few winters, but no luck.
We live in Huntsville Alabama.

I would start with one of these places:

This one is in Huntsville. It is more an obedience center but maybe they can refer you to an actual behaviorist that will come to your house:

This one is about 1.5 to 2 hours south of you in Birmingham but they may travel to your area or know of someone in your area to refer you to:

Bark Busters will come to your house and I have a lot of experience with them. I highly recommend them and their training methods however the closest one I found to you was in Nashville. Again, you may to just call the trainer and see if she can recommend someone closer to you.

It's all about connections and who you know so just keep calling around until you get someone that fits your needs. I really hope that one of these connections will help you. Herding dogs can be tough to deal with sometimes. I have two cattle dogs so I get it!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I realize that this may be a tough one. I will contact your suggested providers. I hope they will have ideas. Thank you for your assistance.
You are welcome. Good luck!