Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.
3570977

The hair around my dogs vagina is dark, her urine stains it,

The hair around my dog's vagina is dark, her urine stains it, she's a bischon Maltese mix. She's six and has been over weight since we had her spayed. there is always a foul smell and she doesn't/can't lick it. We wash it every day, but she still stains everything she sits on. It must bother her from time to time, because she sit's back and twist on the floor, leaving a stain. I've read where we could try a table spoon of cider vinager in her gallon water jug, and we do that quite often, trying to effect her PH, so her urine would be less acidic.
Are vet said she's just to chubby back there and it doesn't get air. We are trying to reduce her weight, but it's been a battle, she only wan't food and sleep. We would appreciate any held or advise you can provide
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.

Sally Grott :

Hello and welcome. If there is a discharge and odor from her vagina then she needs to be seen for possible infection. There should be no discharge if she is healthy and not in a heat cycle.

Sally Grott :

What will have to happen is your vet will probably swab the area for testing as well as take a possible urine sample to look for infection.

Sally Grott :

If an infection shows up then antibiotics will be given.

Sally Grott :

If cash is an issue you can ask your vet for a prescription for antibiotics and get them at walmart for lower cost

Customer:
Sally Grott :

Another cause for staining can be the anal glands as if they are full the dog will rub them trying to express them and it is smelly

Sally Grott :

Anal glands can become full but will break open with a normal bowel movement however if the stool is too soft they do not break open. Here is more on this

Customer:

We've/the vet has done that he said there was no infection, and as I mentioned, she is spayed. She just stays wet to long I guess, I was looking for something that might help assure her urine flow was not out of balance.

Sally Grott :

I am not sure what you mean by out of balance, is she laying in her wetness?

Sally Grott :

Have you tried shaving the area around the vagina?

Sally Grott :

Did your vet test for stones?

Sally Grott :

Does she smell like urine or something else?

Customer:

No she doesn't lay in urine, she just has chubby little thighs and her vagina stays wet and gets smelly, my wife wash's it every day and if she didn't milley would stain everything she sits or lays on "in bed" . The groomers keep it shaved, but this has been going on for about two years now.

Sally Grott :

Oh I see. You can try doggie diapers to protect your furniture and that should absorb some of the wetness she produces. You can also use a gold bond type of powder to dry the area. Some people use cranberry extract for dogs to help with the urinating being less strong similar to what you are doing with the apple cider. But to be honest aside from keeping her clean and covered unless or until she looses weight all you can do is clean her. If you have a blow dryer that has a warm or cool setting you can use that as well to keep the area dry

Customer:
Sally Grott :

A bit of vaseline may help to keep the urine from sticking to her body as well

Customer:

Oh will, I guess there is no silver bullet. The diapers are a non starter, we wouldn't do that, but I might try the powder.

Customer:
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: 24 yrs. experience in dog training and behavior, pet first aide and therapy dog evaluation. Member of PAS Animal Response Team.