Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

is it legal to put your own dog put down ... if yes, how painlessly

is it legal to put your own dog put down ... if yes, how painlessly ? and cost ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I would love to help I just have a few additional questions.

Do you mean to put your dog down yourself or to have the vet do this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
myself, but i don't know how/what to do it ? and, I am not sure I can go through with it
Expert:  Candy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you .

There is no safe painless and peaceful way to put them down by yourself. We have many owners who try to over dose on medication however when given orally this results in serious suffering such as vomiting, seizures etc.

The absolute best way to do this when the time comes is to allow your vet to help. They will give medication by injecting it in the vein which first sedates then stops the heart so it is painless and peaceful. If finances are a problem many animal shelters or your local animal control will do this at a discounted cost.

If you would like him to pass at home then you can either locate a mobile vet in your area or discuss this with your regular as many will make house calls for euthanasia purposes.

I wish there was a way for you to do this at home alone but that is just not the case and most owners who try are left feeling as if they have made their pet suffer in the end.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions