VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Educated, experienced, and friendly!
24209094

My dogs eye ball is suddenly swollen, and bulging. I had cleaned

My dogs eye ball is suddenly swollen, and bulging. I had cleaned around her eyes with pro-sense tear stain remover pads about 20 minutes before. I have used these on her many times and have never had a problem. I also had given her eye drops that our vet gave her for allergies, which is prednisolone acetate ophthalmic suspension usp. I have used both of these on her before many times. Could this still be a reaction to one of the 2 or the combination and do i need to take her to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.

VetTechErin :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.

Customer:

hi erin

VetTechErin :

Welcome to JA! It's probably safest if you get your girl into the emergency vet to have this looked at. It's possible sometimes for their eyes to bulge when they strain a little while they're being restrained, and in severe cases it can put a lot of strain on the optical nerve.

VetTechErin :

There's also a possibility of an acute glaucoma, which is when fluid and pressure builds up in the eyeball.

Customer:

Ok, the eye is also red. She was actually in the other room looking out the window, she had been playing fetch with my husband earlier but I don't think she could have hurt it then. It happened after I used the tear stain pads and eye drops so i thought maybe the combination of the 2 had caused a reaction

Customer:

her other eye looks a little swollen too but its not as bad

VetTechErin :

It is possible that it could be a reaction to a combination of the meds together, but a bulging of the eyeball itself usually indicates pressure inside of the eye globe. If both of her eyes are red and swollen, it's possible she could have an infection, which could mean there might be an abscess around the bulging eye that is causing it to pooch out.

VetTechErin :

If you've used these medications in conjunction before, it's less likely that this is a reaction, though the possibility can't be discounted.

VetTechErin :

But an emergency vet will be able to determine the cause of the pressure, and possibly even give IV medications to decrease the ocular pressure if it's built up inside of the eyeball.

Customer:

ok, do u recommend taking her right away? Our vets office is closed today, so we would have to drive out of town, which is fine but if its something that can wait til our vets office is open tomorrow we may do that. Is there a chance that the swelling could damage her eye sight

VetTechErin :

It would be better to get her seen sooner, yes because there is a chance that the pressure can cause blindness, and if the pressure has come on quickly, the blindness can also come on quickly. Pressure can also be pretty painful.

Customer:

ok thanks you for your help, any recommendations in the mean time? should i ice it?

VetTechErin :

You are most welcome! I wouldn't put anything on it in the meantime, as if it is an acute glaucoma, it could be pretty painful. You've flushed it out to make sure that there's nothing inside, which is as much as you can do.

Customer:

thank you for your help

VetTechErin :

Good luck, and keep me updated on how everything goes at the vet!

VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience: Educated, experienced, and friendly!
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.