CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My red nose pit bull puppy has a bumpy redish rash around her

Customer Question

My red nose pit bull puppy has a bumpy redish rash around her eyes and on the top of her head, I thought it was fleas so I got her a flea collar just today, was wondering what it might be. Any info would help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Although fleas can not be ruled out with history alone - typically fleas do not cause issues in this area alone, rather the back end by the tail - not the eyes and head.

CriticalCareVet :

At this age, and this breed, the more common causes would include:

CriticalCareVet :

- Bacterial skin infection
- Mites (Demodectic Mange for example)
- Allergy

CriticalCareVet :

Often in these cases, an easy way to differentiate the causes above is a good physical examination and a skin scraping (LINK HERE) to look at under the microscope.

CriticalCareVet :

Antihistamines such as Benadryl (LINK HERE) can be considered, but being around the eyes, topical ointments are hard to use as (just like people) most have the warning NOT to use around the eyes or mouth.

CriticalCareVet :

For this reason, especially if not improving - well worth having this evaluated by your veterinarian and making a diagnosis. This way we can find the exact cause and tailor treatment before it has a chance to spread and get worse (and then maybe even harder to treat)

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

Hi Velda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about peaches/ china. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet