petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog ate Mylanta Gas simethicone anti-gas max strength tablets.

Customer Question

My dog ate Mylanta Gas simethicone anti-gas max strength tablets. A LOT of them. She is a 14 lb dachshund. Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

Do you know how long ago she ate them? Or in between what time period?

How is she acting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think it was long ago at all. probably within the last 30 minutes. I just fed the dogs dinner and she was acting normal.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 years ago.

In looking up the ingredients, it looks like simethicone is the only active ingredient and there is no xylitol used as a sweetner. The good news is that simethicone has a large safety range in that it is not absorbed from the GI tract and exerts it's action primarily by decreasing the gas in the gut. About the worst we can expect from this experience is perhaps diarrhea.

If that is the case, I would treat symptomatically by fasting her to give her GI system a rest. Since she is an adult dog, a 12 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you about Ava.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your reply and am glad to hear that she will be fine, but I am extremely worried because I just counted the amount that she ate. There are 23 tablets chewed open. Is diarrhea the only side effect that she will have?
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but my computer froze up. Give me a minute to type a reply to your last question.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 4 years ago.

Based on experience of similar ingestions and reviews of the online veterinary network which includes veterinary toxicologists, I have never found a resource that stated concern about anything more than diarrhea from an ingestion of simethicone, regardless of the amount ingested.

If you want further reassurance, I would direct you to the ASPCA poison control center. As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the ASPCA is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They will likely have more information as far as just which dose is toxic. The number is 888-426-4435. They will charge $60 to a credit card.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if further questions.