Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog is pacing and panting, and was shaking for a while.

My dog is pacing and panting, and was shaking for a while. She is acting extremely strange. We let her outside because we thought maybe she needed to be let out, and she came right back. She is fed and watered. She is not dehydrated. She has water in her bowl... what could be wrong?

I also thought maybe she might be pregnant and going into labor, but she does not at all appear pregnant. Is it possible that she still may be, despite not looking like it at all?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome. I am sorry your girl is not well.
Is she laying down at all or just pacing?
Is she responsive to you when you talk to her?

Very important , is there any dry heaving?
What color are her gums?
Is her stomach hard or swollen?
When did she last eat?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
One more thing, was she mated and that is why you thought of labor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She sometime will lie down, and then gets up and paces again. She is acting bizarre, almost hiding behind things.

She is responsive when I call her name.

She is not dry heaving.

Her tongue has always had these black spots on them that we were told was not something to be concerned about, and as I looked at her gums just now, I noticed they have the same spotting.

As far as I can tell, her stomach is not hard or swollen.

She ate about an hour ago. She had a can of the same wet dog food she's been eating for months.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for that information. What we worry about with large breed dogs is bloat which is like a twisting of the intestines and is serious. Pacing and being uncomfortable can be a sign and trying to vomit is also a sign but just because she is not dry heaving does not mean this is not happening.
Shaking and panting can be a sign of pain. If this started after she ate I would still worry about bloat. I would listen to her tummy and see if you hear any gas noises and press around a bit in that area to look for discomfort.

This breed is also prone to seizures which will have a dog act strange if it is a focal or aura type seizure and this can last for a while.

I would seek help from an ER vet only because I would worry something health wise is going on that may need immediate attention.

If the gums are pale or white that is an emergency. The black you see could just be part of her breeding.