Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dogs ears have a dry crusty edge. She does have food sensitivites,

My dog's ears have a dry crusty edge. She does have food sensitivites, we have her on grain-free food and have noticed a significant difference. No more ear infections, her coat is much shinier and smooth - but I'm concerned this dry/crusty edge could be the food sensitivities manifesting again, or that it's something else.

We did recently introduce a new grain-free food; wondering if this might be the issue. I've seen online that the dry crusty edge can also be indicative of a mite.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Is she scratching at her ears more than usual?

is she on any medications?

There is a rough test, for sarcoptic mites, and your rub the tips of the ears. If she immediately starts scratching with her hind foot, it could be sarcoptic mites.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi - she is not on any meds and I have not noticed her scratching her ears more than normal.

I just did the rough test, after about 10 seconds of rubbing the tip of her ear her back foot did start scratching.

Next steps? Should I take her to the vet to get checked out?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 years ago.

If she had sarcoptic mange, and that usually affects the ears, then she would be scratching at her ears non-stop. It causes severe itching.

I am thinking she may have vasculitis. Vasculits is inflammation of the blood vessels. It can affect the tips of the ears. It can happen from an autoimmune reaction or an allergic reactions. It often happens after vaccines are given. Infections can cause it as well. Medication is given to stabilize the lining of the blood vessels and control inflammation.

It is not life threatening so it is not an emergency.

It does usually go away after a few weeks of treatment.

Yes, I would take her to your regular vet to have her checked.

I thinks a skin scrape, just to make sure there is not mange, is a good idea as well. If it is mange she can take an oral medication to clear it up.