Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dog is staggering when he walks, like he is drunk. He had

my dog is staggering when he walks, like he is drunk. He had his booster on friday and a bit of diaorrea this morning. I think his stomach is still bad because when i just took him outside he tried to go again but nothing came out. Its 2.14am and i don't know what to do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

I consider this worth an emergency vet visit!
What you are describing sounds consistent with possible vestibular disease.
The most common symptoms can occur in any combination and include:
-- head tilting
- walking in circles
- vomiting
- fast eye movements back and forth (nystagmus) or the eyes pinned to one direction (strabismus)
- drunk-like walking

Vestibular Disease in Dogs

Generally, vestibular disease is caused by either:
1. Central disease which includes anything within the brain
2. Peripheral disease which includes problems outside the brain like inner ear infections, toxin exposure, organ problems

Certainly, vaccines can cause reactions, but I do believe this is a different problem.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

The pepto may help the stomach and with diarrhea, but it is critical to get into a vet to get some basic testing done.

Good Luck

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: