Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

What is the maximum dosage (mg/lb) of doxycycline used to treat

What is the maximum dosage (mg/lb) of doxycycline used to treat lyme disease in dogs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-mnrz48qf~

As a general rule, the dose of Doxy for a dog is 2-5mg per pound given twice a day.

So if your dog weighs 50 pounds, they'd get anywhere from 100-250mgs twice daily.

There's more information about Doxy here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Doxycycline-prod10340.html

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My vet put my 146 pound dog on 1300 mg of doxycycline a day which seems really high to me....I called today to check to be sure I got the dosage correct and that is what he recommends. I'm concerned it will be harmful to my dog as I have a rescue and have always used the 2 - 5mg per pound rule.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

If given twice a day, that's only 650mg per dose, or 4mg/lb....which isn't high at all.

Since the doxy is often prescribed as twice daily dosing, that would be the normal dose for a dog his size even if it's only given once a day.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I put her on pepcid or something to protect her stomach? And it should be given with food correct?
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about the pepcid...but giving it with food can help with the digestive upset that is really common with any kind of antibiotic.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should dogs be dosed twice a day? I have two other dogs diagnosed with lyme disease and they are only being treated once a day - one weighs 59 pounds and is getting 300 mg per day; the other is 89 pounds and is getting 400mg per day. Should I give that dosage twice a day?
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

The way the dose is distributed is dependant on the vet...some prescribe twice a day dosing, and some prescribe once a day. Protocols can vary from clinic to clinic even in the same town, and sometimes can vary between vets in the same clinic!

If you feel like she's getting digestive upset from the Doxycycline, then you can break it into two doses, but if she's not getting sick from the way the vet prescribed the medications, then I'd just follow their directions.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry - this will be my last question. What I'm actually asking is do you think the other two dogs need more medication? I do have two different vets - one treating the king shepherd with two doses a day; one treating the other two dogs with one dose a day so they are only getting half of what the shepherd is getting. Is that enough? This is really confusing when the dogs are being treated so differently. I was originally concerned that the big dog was getting too much doxycycline (4.6 mg per lb twice a day) and after writing to you I'm now concerned the other too aren't getting enough(5 mg per lb once a day). Which treatment do you advise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Asking for additional information.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 4 years ago.
Effective doxycycline dose range is between 2-5mg per pound of body weight, per day, as stated above. This total dose can be given once daily or divided into two doses. The efficacy of this antibiotic is similar within the range, so if one dog is on the lower dose (within the range) it should still be effective. Hope this helps.