Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

MY 14 YR OLD DOG CAN NO LONGER GET UP ON HER FEET OR WALK WITHOUT

Customer Question

MY 14 YR OLD DOG CAN NO LONGER GET UP ON HER FEET OR WALK WITHOUT FALLING. SHE IS TERRIFIED OF THE VET OFFICE AND I DONT WANT HER LAST MOMENTS TO BE IN FEAR. IM AN RN AND WANT TO EUTHANISE HER AT HOME WITH INSULIN. I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH NOVOLOG TO USE AND IM AFRAID SHE WILL HAVE REACTIONS. WILL SHE JUST BECOME UNCONSCIOUS AND PASS AWAY? DORI HICKS
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Euthanizing at home is not as easy as using human medications to do it. This can cause much pain and suffering for Sheehan.

What I suggest is to have a Housecall Vet come to your home and do this for you. If you would supply a City, State and Zipcode, I would be happy to try and locate one for you. If I cannot you may want to call your regular Vet and see if they would do this for you.

I know you want what is best for Sheehan and this is not an easy situation, but having someone come out and do this with the proper medication is very important for her to pass peacefully.

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I am unable to afford any more vet bills. We lost our 10 yr old Sheltie last week after several hundred dollars in vet bills. It's frustrating to know that there are safe and painless ways to do this with meds we have but protocol prevents us from helping the pets we love so deeply. Would a mega dose of xanax let her pass peacefully?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

There is no Human Medication that will do this without unwanted side effects. Xanax can have a paradoxical effect and actually cause high agitation and anxiety which is supposed to relieve.

I wish I could give you an easy answer, but the best way is to see if your own vet would do this at home for a minimal charge or call out a Housecall Vet. I understand the financial situation, but the only way to do this without causing suffering is to have a Vet do this.

Joan