MyPetAdvocate
MyPetAdvocate, Dog Owner
Experience:  CVT 13yrs.Train,rehab,show horses 33 yrs.Dog obed/ agility. Hoof Trimmer 7 yrs. Build confidence btw horse/ dog/owner.

How do I stop my dog from chewing my couch when I am not home? He also chews sometimes whe

Customer Question

How do I stop my dog from chewing my couch when I am not home? He also chews sometimes when I am sleeping.
Category: Dog
Expert:  MyPetAdvocate replied 2 years ago.

MyPetAdvocate :

Hi I hope I can help. How long have you had Charlie?

Customer:

about 3 months

MyPetAdvocate :

Ok. Beagles, well lots of young dogs have alot of energy to expell. Chewing is one of the ways they do that. Does he have lots of appropriate chew toys and have you ever tried crate training?

MyPetAdvocate :

How much exercise does he get?

Customer:

he does have a lot of chew toys and I take him out constantly

Customer:

He isn't crate trained and I have a 3 year old male lab as well

Customer:

I would prefer him to stay out with my other dog I don't want him stuck in a kennel

MyPetAdvocate :

Ok,How many leash walks per day does he get? I understand you don't want him stuck in a kennel. But perhaps while you are gone, until he understands boundaries. Using a crate is a great way to keep him safe, as well as your house hold items safe.

MyPetAdvocate :
Customer:

he gets 6

MyPetAdvocate :

That is good. And when you are home, does he chew his own toys?

Customer:

he does chew his own toys when I am home

Customer:

he sleeps and plays with my other dog mostly

Customer:

my boyfriend thinks it is spiteful because he wants to go for a car ride with me and he is not getting his way...

MyPetAdvocate :

Crates do not have to be a bad place. They should not be used as punishment. Only treated as a positive environment. For when your gone, or need to keep Charlie safe. Give reward and favorite toys and treats when crated. You can start with short increments of time and build up if he has anxiety about it.

MyPetAdvocate :

Its not really spiteful. It is probably some seperation anxiety.

Customer:

ok I can try that it's just a shame because my other dog is able to be free

Customer:

I know his previous owner left him in the basement with their other dog when they left for work, could that have something to do with it?

MyPetAdvocate :

Limiting there space, especially when home alone can often become a comfort to them. I know you may feel unfair, if one is crated and one not. But you havent had him very long. And you need to keep him and your home safe. Perhaps limiting them to one room will be helpful as well, and be sure to put down lots of things that could keep them busy. Such as some food in bottle/kong/dog puzzle, that they have to work to get at. That will help blow off some energy on thinking, as well as make it positive when you go away. As long as there is no food aggression between the two dogs. But even in the kennel, the same things would make a more positive environment for when you are gone.

Customer:

there is no aggression, however sometimes it does seem as though Charlie won't eat when Gus is eating or close by but this is not always the case.

MyPetAdvocate :

Also if you are gone for more than a few hours at a time, perhaps a dog walker may be helpful. To break up that alone time.

Customer:

ok that sounds like a good idea. I will try anything at this point.

Customer:

Charlie doesn't always eat treats though he will turn his face to them (relating this to putting food in his kong)

MyPetAdvocate :
MyPetAdvocate :

Sorry my computer seems to be delayed on the responses. Regarding previous owner leaving Charlie in basement. Yes that could have something to do with it, if it was for long periods of time, with out adequate exercise, and training. They are so impressionable especially before 6 months old. But don't worry, with consistency, positive reenforcement, exercise and time, he will improve.

MyPetAdvocate :
Customer:

ok thats what I like to hear he is a very sweet dog the only thing has been his chewing. So if I confine him to one room with toys should I introduce the dog bed in there and see if he chews it to see if he can be in the rest of the house?

Customer:

or should the room confinement be permanent

Customer:

can I ask you one other question?

MyPetAdvocate :

I would take baby steps. Only safe toys, to keep him busy, and possibly a mid day walk by a dog walker/pet sitter if possible. Then when he is dependable, you could add other things if you want. Keep in mind, you may still have to crate train, and is recommended. Or at least put a crate in the room that is comfy for him. Leave it open to allow him to go in and out of at will.

MyPetAdvocate :
MyPetAdvocate :

yes you sure can

Customer:

ok thanks. He won't allow me to cut his nails, he pulls his paws away. Is this a trust thing? How can I get him to let me cut his nails?

MyPetAdvocate :

That will take time too. Along with positive re-enforcement. First thing work on mild restraint. Such as holding him and hugging, and releasing when he is quiet. Then you can play with his feet, and hold them, while treating at the same time. Again baby steps. Then carefully maybe just have your goal be to cut one nail. Reward and take a break. And repeat often. The key is to reward for him being calm in relation to handling and restraint. Just do the very tips of his nails, and careful not to cut the quik of the nail.

Customer:

definitely! thank you soo much for your help! I am sorry again I do have a question about my other dog.. I just don't want to take up all your time or anything.. I haven't used this service before..

Customer:

sorry I'm all over the place here.. with the positive reinforcement would that include petting.. he really doesn't take treats all that much. I am planning on getting a different treat as I mentioned he just turns his head to them and might only take one the odd time. I give him milk bones..

MyPetAdvocate :

Hi, yes. If he doesn't take treats, it can be via petting, praise, play. Whatever he responds to.

Customer:

ok thank you so much

Customer:

I appreciate your assistance, enjoy the rest of your day!

MyPetAdvocate :

I hope this is helpful. Sorry about delayed responses, things aren't coming through as fast as normal. Thank you and you enjoy your day. Best of luck and patience. :)

Customer:

No worries these things happen. Thanks again! :)

MyPetAdvocate, Dog Owner
Experience: CVT 13yrs.Train,rehab,show horses 33 yrs.Dog obed/ agility. Hoof Trimmer 7 yrs. Build confidence btw horse/ dog/owner.
How are things progressing with Charlie?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far he has only had one chewing episode. I had left very early in the morning and he was confined to an area outside the bedroom, where my boyfriend was still sleeping. My boyfriend woke up and Charlie had chewed the dog bed for a second time. Knock on wood he hasn't since, it was my first day in a few weeks that I had started school again (clinical 12 hour shift). I have started a new routine for when I leave at 6am and I haven't had any further problems. I appreciate you following up with me, Thank you.