CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has had soft stool for a couple of days now. Its not

My dog has had soft stool for a couple of days now. It's not diarrhea, but not completely solid either. I also noticed today that she has licked a raw spot on top of her nose. She's not eating all of her food (which isn't normal), but drinks plenty of water. Her energy level still seems ok, though.
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

Using history alone it is difficult to rule-out other causes, but the history would support a colitis (LINK HERE)

The inflammation and irritation of the intestines causes fluid buildup into the intestines, resulting in diarrhea.

There are times when the patient does not feel well as a result, then also vomits.

The inflammation of the intestinal tract can be from many different causes:

1) Viral infection

2) Bacterial infection

3) Parasites - (LINK HERE), giardia (LINK HERE), and coccidia (LINK HERE).

4) Diet change, new treats, people food - termed dietary indiscretion

The best way to tell what is the cause would be to have your veterinarian do an examination and perform some tests, initially looking at the feces, testing for some of these infectious causes like parasites and protozoa (
LINK HERE).

Other common therapies to consider for a colitis include:

1) One option would be a veterinary prescription bland diet called Hill’s I/D (LINK HERE) or Hill’s W/D (LINK HERE) which is higher in fiber.

The second option would be a home-cooked bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled white rice and either boiled white meat chicken or boiled hamburger. Whichever protein source is chosen (chicken or hamburger) it is recommended to offer a mixture of 2/3 rice and 1/3 of the protein source.

If the diet is tolerated, and once clinical improvement is seen, it is recommended to SLOWLY transition back to the normal diet.

When you start to transition to the normal diet, you can initially offer a food mixture with the majority being the boiled rice and meat and have a small amount of normal dog food mixed in.

Each day you can gradually decrease the amount of rice and meat and gradually increase the amount of normal dog food in the mixture.

We recommend a slow transition over 3-5 days to reduce possible stomach upset.

2) Antacids for stomach and intestinal upset (often one is chosen of the 3 choices below):
- Famotidine (Pepcid A/C) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.)
- Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg), every 24 hours or once daily.)
- Rantididine (Zantac) - LINK HERE (The typical dose administered to animals is 0.25 to 1 mg per pound (0.5 to 2 mg/kg), every 8 to 12 hours.)

3) Pedialyte for hydration - LINK HERE

4) Probiotics can also be considered - LINK HERE or LINK HERE

Regarding the sore on the nose, that is likely unrelated here - and more likely a mild contact trauma from rubbing or a minor skin infection. If that continues to grow - best to have your vet examine the area.

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist