CriticalCareVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog is having trouble getting up and going up stairs when

Customer Question

my dog is having trouble getting up and going up stairs when laying down he is restless and looks at his legs looks like he is going to get up but doesn't or can't
Category: Dog
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Are the front legs affectedA?

CriticalCareVet :

Back legs affected?

Customer :

what does this mean he was healthy the last I knew

CriticalCareVet :

Please answer the questions above

Customer :

what is affected A

CriticalCareVet :

Back legs?

CriticalCareVet :

Front legs?

CriticalCareVet :

All legs?

Customer :

back legs seem to be the broblem

Customer :

he can't stand up on them

CriticalCareVet :

Based on your history, age of your dog, and breed, there are 3 major parts of the body, when injured that can explain your signs.

Firstly, before I discuss those 3 body parts - this is assuming that there is not a more simple causes such as a strain, sprain, or bruise.

That is not predictable based on history alone, without being able to perform an examination.

For this reason, we have to discuss other problems aside from a temporary injury.

The body parts of concern would be:

1) Knee pain
- One knee problem in this breed can be a luxating patella (knee cap) - LINK HERE
- We can also see a ligament issue, such as the cruciate ligament - LINK HERE

2) We can also see hip pain, such as arthritis - LINK HERE

3) Finally, in breeds such as this we can see back pain. While again, this can be a temporary injury, other common back pain in breeds such as this is a slipped/herniated disc - LINK HERE

CriticalCareVet :

For this reason, if these signs persist, or worsen - I would recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian for an evaluation. They will be able to feel the hips, knees, and do a neurological examination to look for back pain.

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed:

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.