How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask smanimalvet Your Own Question
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1111
Experience:  Practicing vet with focus on advanced medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
smanimalvet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My client is scheduled to put her 9 year old Bison down tomorrow

Resolved Question:

My client is scheduled to put her 9 year old Bison down tomorrow because his tests came back that he has a golf ball size tumor in his lungs.I am very upset with her decision to put him down because except for some coughing that just started,he is active,very lovable and not acting sick.The vet told her it wouldn`t be a good idea to pursue operation but I am confused by this decision.He has never been sick prior,he DOESN`T act sick and only coughs.They don`t even know yet if it is cancer!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  smanimalvet replied 4 years ago.

Hi there-

I can understand your frustration but, unfortunately, in veterinary medicine we often times see owners make the decision to put their animals down without pursuing diagnostics. They focus on the "worst case scenario" and do not want to put their loved pets through a ton of testing and invasive procedures.

With that being said, if this were my patient, I would strongly recommend an ultrasound guided aspirate of the mass depending upon its location. You are correct that there can be no diagnosis of cancer without testing, it is as simple as that. Other options for a mass in the lungs could be a cyst, granuloma, benign growth, etc.

I am not certain that rushing into surgery without knowing what you are up against is the best option. Diagnostics and figuring out what it going on is the next best step. If your client wants to pursue this but their vet doesn't have the resources, you might consider a referral practice, specialty clinic, or veterinary school. It may even be possible that this mass can be removed and Buddy can live a long and healthy life.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have further questions!

Dr. B

smanimalvet and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions