Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Will lysol kill parvo if it kills HIV

Customer Question

Will lysol kill parvo if it kills HIV
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear that you're in a situation where removing parvo virus is needed. I take it you have a parvo positive dog in the house? Do you have any other young dogs in the house?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had a puppy that had parvo had her put down the vet told me to bleach my house but I can't use bleach it makes me sick so I just need to know if Lysol will kill parvo
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 years ago.
Ok. In a situation like this, what I would recommend as the best option here is to not get a young dog for one month. Basically the virus should deteriorate in the house during that time frame. I can't specifically find literature listing lysol killing the virus. Bleach is the standard for it. You can use the lysol, but its effectiveness is going to be totally up in the air. The safest approach again would be to not have a puppy in the house for one month. Or the other option is to get an older dog that is current on vaccines. Here is a good link on this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I'm just going to do some real research I think Lysol will kill parvo it can kill HIV and not a lot can kill HIV so thanks but know thanks
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 4 years ago.
Hi there!

My name is Erin, and I saw you have chosen not to work with Dr. Bruce. I wanted to chime in to say that he is absolutely correct, and if you want to get a new puppy and cannot use bleach in your house, waiting is indeed the safest approach for you and your new puppy.

The Lysol company itself has claimed that Lysol is not effective against parvovirus, nor do they produce a product that is effective. Here's a link to their statement:

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your puppy to parvo, and I hope this information was useful to you in how to eliminate the virus in your home.
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Good morning~

You've been given some information about bleach, but I wanted to help you with the answer about the Lysol. I gave Reckitt Benkiser USA (the makers of Lysol) a call this morning and spoke to a woman named Janine. I asked about the efficacy of Lysol against the Parvovirus.

Here is her direct quote: "Although Lysol is effective against many viruses and bacteria, Lysol will NOT kill Parvovirus."

There are three options that have been proven over time and testing to eliminate the parvo virus from the environment. First is bleach..since you get sick from it, you obviously can't use this in your house. If there is someone who could clean the affected areas with bleach while you were out of the home, that would be the best idea...but if you can't do that, then the other options are ultraviolet light or a product such as Wysiwash (you can find info about that here: ).

The truly important thing to remember is that parvo can stay in the environment for several months, so bringing home an animal that is not vaccinated could put you through the exact same problems unless the environment is completely cleaned and all the remaining infectious agents are cleaned.

Good luck!!

Here's the number for Lysol, in case you wanted to verify that their product is not effective against parvo.

You can call them to verify this yourself if you'd like. 1-973-404-2600