Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

my dog is shaking,Not eating,vomiting water and lethargic but

my dog is shaking,Not eating,vomiting water and lethargic but doesn't yelp when i push on her stomach. Her belly is making odd noises. She had a chewy pig ear and a few pieces of pork chop last night. Please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Did she eat, or drink, anything today?

When you pushed on her abdomen, was it tense or relaxed?

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes she has had a few dog biscuits earlier in the day but she didn't eat them right away like usual. She held it in her mouth for a few minutes

Her abdomen feels relaxed

She weighs roughly 32 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,

It sounds like she has an upset stomach from the pork.

To settle her stomach, you can give her one teaspoon of pepto bismal every 8 hours.

In addition, you can reduce the acid in her stomach by giving her 1/2 of a 10mg pepcid tablet every 8 hours.

I would not force her to eat if her stomach is upset.

When she seems to be feeling better, you can offer her some plain cooked chicken and plain white rice. Start with just a spoonful and see how she does

Dogs do not digest pork very well so we recommend avoiding things like pork chops or bacon. Pork has been known to cause pancreatitis in dogs. The pancreas is an organ in the upper right abdomen. It makes enzymes to digest carbohydrates and fat. When a food is given, that is difficult to digest or high in fat, the pancreas can become inflamed. Signs of pancreatitis are abdominal pain, lack of appetite and vomiting.

She should be feeling better tomorrow. If not, then she needs to see a vet to make sure she does not have pancreatitis.

I hope this helps.