Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog is throwing up a blood colored mucus. She hasnt gotten

My dog is throwing up a blood colored mucus. She hasn't gotten out of the yeard so I am not worried about poisoning. She acts completely normal other than the throwing up. Do you have any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 4 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been a professional answering questions concerning dog health and behavioral issues here since 2006. Over 13,000 of my answers have been accepted by customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

It sounds like your dog is vomiting blood. Vomiting blood could be caused by many things including a non-food item in your dog's system, which may have punctured your dog's stomach, Poisoning, ulcers, a blood disorder, and more. It could also be that your dog cut it's mouth and swallowed blood and is now vomiting it up. If an ulcer is to blame, you can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

Check your dog's mouth to see if he has a wound in her mouth or a tooth that’s bleeding. If it is not swallowed blood, I urge you to get your dog to the vet.

You can read more about blood in vomit here:

I hope you find this information helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no more questions. Thank you. Please no more emails.