Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 4.5 month old puppy keeps trying to urinate over and over,

Customer Question

My 4.5 month old puppy keeps trying to urinate over and over, but nothing is coming out. She urinated earlier (about 2.5 hours ago). I took her out twice since then and she has squatted about 10 times as if to urinate. All of her urinating has been normal up to this point. Is this an emergency situation?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Place a hand on both sides of her abdomen and press inward. Do you feel a larger, water balloon type mass, or is she painful or uncomfortable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I felt her abdomen and I dont feel a balloon type mass. When I pressed on her abdomen she did not cry or appear to have pain.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet. I logged off just before you responded back and haven't been able to get back on the computer until now. It sounds like your lab puppy may have a urinary tract infection. I am not sure if you have gotten her into the vet yet, but I would have her seen tomorrow if you have not already. A UTI is not really an emergency situation, but it can be very uncomfortable. The inflammation in the bladder makes it feel like she has to urinate often. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
How is your lab doing?